Some problems. Thread last updated on 2005-08-21 10:23:46

Posted by member 260056 on 2005-08-18 21:36:08

http://images.filecloud.com/44277/d.JPG

I have just installed this theme. The text is too small and a little blurry. My running programs tray on the bottom right corner, the little icons, is there a way to enable right clicking on that so I can bring up the program such as trillian? Is there also a way to make the desktop have no icons, or how to change the icons image?

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-19 02:16:54 link

mmmmkay...

Youre asking a lot, so Im gonna ask you to do your homework -if you still cant figure it out from there, then you will be better prepared to ask more educated questions :)

So, what you want to do is open your system's main drive (odds are, your C:\ drive) and point yourself to C:\LiteStep\module\archive\ and youll see a good number of zip files. Minimize this screen.

Open up notepad. Go to File>>Open>>(make sure all files is used instead of .txt). You want to browse through C:\LiteStep\profiles\yourname\themes >> and then the theme name.

From here, you want to open theme.rc (remember, this is with notepad).

In notepad, you will find a bunch of lines that say:

*netLoad wxyz1-2.3

The two netloads you are looking for are:
xdesktop (and its version number)
or
icondesk (and its version number) (this one is more likely)

and

systray (and its version number)
or
tasks (or taskbar, and its version number)

Once you have these, you can open up the corresponding zip files, read the "help" file, and find the solutions to your questions.

You now ask yourself - "why be such an a**hole? Just tell me!"

Cause odds are, you will eventually have another question in the future, and Im teaching you to fish instead of just giving you a fish :)

Good luck,

Amejin

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-19 02:34:59 link

Hi,

You should install any fonts that came with the theme.
The tray icons should have a right click allready...

and you can not load the desktop icon module, and to change the icons image, you can change the shortcut icon, but for drives and stuff youd need to hack your .dlls and replace the icons there,
but that has little to do with ls...

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-19 02:51:22 link

erm.. Fractal, he was asking how to get rid of them or change the icon... getting rid of them is easy if you just delete the icon show line.

If I followed my homework right, to show drives like that, you have to put them into a box, so he should also remove the boxes from the desktop...

I think youre making it too complicated...

Once trillian is loaded, however, Fractal is right - the icon should show normally. I cant imagine changing the icon used would be very difficult - if anything, (as long as it's not the drive icons) he could go back into the explorer shell, right click and change icon, and voila - changed icon.

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-20 03:32:25 link

Are you telling me off?

he asked: "Is there also a way to make the desktop have no icons"
not "How can I hide individual icons?" he wants them all gone.

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-20 16:51:02 link

First, no, I am not telling you off. I appologize that the tone did sound like that. But we can exchange pleasantries on a more private level. By no means am I trying to publicly offend you or argue that you are anything BUT competent (after all, I am also pretty "noobish" here).

However, my advice to him was the correct advice. He wanted icons gone, so I told him where to look to get rid of them. I may not have answered his question directly, however I did tell him where to look for the answer.

But, lets look at his verbage -

"Is there also a way to make the desktop have no icons"

Easy, take it out of the desktop.rc file.

"or how to change the icons image?"

Not so easy. If those images are labels (or boxes), odds are he cannot simply just "remove" them by deleting a few lines. In fact, Ill be the first to say I dont know how to remove them. However, the icons used are imported from the explorer shell for all shortcuts. A simple and less mind-numbing way to do this is to go back to the default explorer shell, change the icons via context menu (properties), and select a new icon. Then, go back to litestep theme, where icons will be displayed.

If he is talking about the shell-swap icon, then I, again, have no idea - I am not experienced enough with LS yet, nor have I done it myself (yet). I simply answered his question because I felt I had the answer - and again, you seemed to be making it too complicated.

Now, I don't know if youre an admin or just a very helpful person - either way, please PLEASE don't assume that people are trying to jump down your throat simply because they give off a little bad mojo. I was giving commentary, not offense.

-------------------------

Edit::

I actually took a look again - the icons are the default windows Icons for drives. Whoever made the mod simply used the windows shortcut option.

To change these, you would have to know a little about windows skinning - and how to make .ico files. Even using LS, you would probably need a .ico or mod specific format.

That, however, is beyond the scope of the LS forums, I would think.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-20 17:05:31 link

But we can exchange pleasantries on a more private level.

Don't do this! I tried this once and I'm still trying to get rid of the rash fractal gave me. =(

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-20 20:42:04 link

xcal: I wish you would forgive me, I had fun, I know you did too :]

Amejin: Please just stop. If he doesnt want icons, he should not load the module (simply deleting all the lines from the xDesktop.rc would be loading an unused module... you see, its much easier to just not load xDesktop)

And read your "Edit". I'll make a break down for you:

fractal:"and to change the icons image, you can change the shortcut icon, but for drives and stuff youd need to hack your .dlls and replace the icons there,
but that has little to do with ls..."

Amejin:"the icons are the default windows Icons for drives To change these, you would have to know a little about windows skinning - and how to make .ico files. Even using LS, you would probably need a .ico or mod specific format.

That, however, is beyond the scope of the LS forums, I would think."

Are you insane? Thats almost exactly what I said, your spreading false info aswell. "Mod specific format" ??? wtf is that?

you need Reshack to change the drive icons. They are in system32\shell32.dll

Basically Amejin, no I am not an admin, I am just a quasi-helpfull person.

Basically Amejin, there are always different ways to do things. Sure n00bs should read the docs, and I applaud you for getting him to read them, but saying my "help" was not correct is kinda lame, and incorrect. Insolence!!! :D

But then you copied my "help" and rephrased it, with better and longer english.

Buts its cool you are helping at any rate: Lets be friends?(ignore xcal, he just gets a bit jealous sometimes)

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-20 22:25:31 link

I Dont want to cause a flame war, so Im just gonna take your suggestion, drop it, and call it a misunderstanding of your grammar. "can not" (as I read it, I read it as "cannot") and the all encompassing run-on sentence threw me for a loop :)

For the record, I never said you were "wrong." I simply stated you might be making it a little too difficult.

And you are totally correct, he could just prevent the load of the module by removing it from the netLoad line - but then he has a bunch of code that does nothing :D You win some, you loose some - I was trying to help him find a balance so he could make a choice on his own - through reading the help file :)

And by "mod (module) specific" I meant the format that the mod supports. jpegs are not supported by all mods, nor are .png, or any of the various image files available. However, I may be assuming a certain type of image file (or icon file) that is loadable by xdesktop (I am not at my home PC atm, so I cannot be more specific) is only loadable by xdesktop simply because I have never seen the format before; in case you didnt follow, I just called myself an egocentric ignoramus :) I DID make a mistake calling a "theme" a "mod" in the first paragraph of the edit.

And who is xcal? ;) Some two bit hack, if anything - I assure you 0:)

All in all - I think Im gonna go watch family guy or futurama or... whatever Adult Swim says is on this month - and with that, I wish you good night (and a pleasant tomorrow).

I totally stole that.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-20 22:32:18 link

ignore xcal, he just gets a bit jealous sometimes

And who is xcal? ;) Some two bit hack, if anything - I assure you 0:)

Whoa - how'd this suddenly get turned on me. I'm very sensitive, you know. =\

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-20 22:51:48 link

2 bit hack!?! *furious*

He's at least a meg!!!

:p

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-21 10:23:46 link

so anyway... sff... if you still are following... did we manage to help at all?