Are they, by nature "Unreleasable"? Thread last updated on 2005-08-18 05:27:15

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-09 03:29:47

Well I may be tripping,
but damned if I understand it.

Themes.
By their very intended nature, are a personal thing.
Sure there can be options, because we may want a different effect at a different time.

Lately, however, I have seen an increase in themes that are intended to be the "Have all theme to end all themes". That is, a myriad of options, almost every configuration possible with the modules used, and then options to disable modules.

Is this a good idea? Sure, we learn many things by scripting a theme with a myriad of variables (variables depending on variables, that may or may not trigger an action! :o )

But I dont think this makes for a very "stable" and "efficient" theme.

I ofcourse am only criticising myself. My f&^%ing "Logic.Dream" theme is the bane of my existance. But its cool.

Back OT: Are themes, by nature "Unreleasable"?
I think they can be. And I think its mainly a community thing.
Back in the pre-OTS days, apparently (I dont think I was alive then :p) themes were like mini-Distributions, containing there own builds and modules, and would take a long time to get to work.

But now OTS is here. It has come to the point of double-clicking a theme to install it.

The last time I used someone elses theme for any amount of time (like more than a day) would have been before I knew how to change anything.
What drove me to find out how to change things: Because the sucked (or werent masichizmically perfectly to my tastes).

Its not like I am having dellusions about hacking litestep, I am just wondering why people (including myself) release themes.

If I dont use anyone elses themes, why would they use mine?

ps: Sorry about the speel, I just wanted to start a poll :D

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-09 04:29:13 link

"By their very intended nature, are a personal thing."

Disagree. They certainly can be, but I don't think it's "intended" (intended by who?). Themes can be whatever someone wants them to be. It's all good.

I think you're over estimating how many people who download Litestep themes can actually create their own, quality themes. And while I can, and do, create and use only my own themes, I know it doesn't limit how much I enjoy someone else's theme. Just because I'm not using it, I do like to see what someone else has done as far as design goes, and how they make things tick.

I believe we all can learn from each other at some level or another, so releasing themes is good for themers and end-users who aren't themers. And like I implied earlier, I believe there are a lot of Litestep users who aren't themers and don't necessarily want to be.

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-09 04:36:39 link

"(intended by who?)"
The creator. The creator isnt going to make something he/she dont like ;) In this way its personal.

And I totally agree with the rest :)

ps: You didnt vote?!?!

pps: So you release for the n00bs?

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-09 04:41:18 link

I did some editing, so I kinda answered your question before I saw it. I release themes for anyone who's interested in seeing them... not just n00bs. :P

As a "creator," when I release a theme to the public, I do take in to consideration that other people will be using it. Some things I won't budge on, some things I will. It's all good, though. We learn from each other. People who aren't themers get better themes because we do release them, personalized or not.

Oh, and I voted. ;)

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-09 05:07:33 link

Far out. I am glad you voted that one :P, I really dont know what the f(*^ I was one.

Reading your reponses I feel exactly the same way. And I knew I did too. :? "I think I'm go'in Cray'zay"

:)

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-09 14:59:13 link

If you know you're going crazy
You must not be insane

Posted by member 37809 on 2005-08-09 15:22:42 link

I'm sure you know all of this already.

Has there been harm done by releasing themes other than experiencing distaste for others' themes? This is more true when you are a themer and you have designed for yourself.

We release themes for validation. Proof of concept. If you release publically, perhaps you want to make known what you have done. Ultimately (due to the open nature of themes) releasing themes helps to define progress and trends.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-09 16:25:38 link

Oh ya, that too, forsure. We all hope someone will like what we've done. :)

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-09 18:09:28 link

Also, when releasing the feedback is usually really great.
xcal and cerbie have taught me/explained things I would never have imagined.

Thanks guys *sniff*

I hope Litestep gets more popular again.

Posted by member 12025 on 2005-08-09 23:31:41 link

It depends. I have many themes for every one I release, and only a handful of those get to genuinely useable points. For me, making a theme that is to be released from the beginning is the only way to keep on the goal, and not get sidetracked by, "Oh, let me if this could work...".

However, when I want to see if something can work, a new theme for it, and a few other things, is about the only way to work it. These generally don't make it anywhere past filling up my themes directory. OTOH, the first class of themes are actually meant to be used in some form, where the second are made purely for technical/creative insight.

Posted by member 3861 on 2005-08-16 20:47:06 link

I've only released what, 2 themes? Maybe 3? Whenever I end up trying to release a theme I have needed to reinstall litestep and try to recreate the theme I am using in an OTS compatable format.

I'm using a couple of modules I've written myself that aren't meant for release (really they are mostly ideas that I have been testing, X windows copy is one I have been working on for instance) and a core that I have modified (I've recently reverted back because I'm doing public core development). So my unreleased themes aren't anywhere near OTS compatable (and hence they are unreleased).

Posted by member 258027 on 2005-08-17 23:01:12 link

It has to be noted that the best way to learn what "works" and what "looks good" is to see what other people do "right." This isnt just for "noobs" or anything - this is for graphics and usability.

Trying to tackle the "universal theme" is also an "ok" idea... it's a way that people who just want an alternaive to the native windows environment can just download litestep and apply what they want. While "we" as developers (please, I know I'm new, but give me the benefit of the doubt) like to customize our own systems, some people have neither the know-how, nor the patience; that's why we as really nice people release our work for others to use and abuse :)

That's my 2c, for what it's worth.

Amejin

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-08-18 05:27:15 link

funny poll results