weird litestep behavior Thread last updated on 2005-07-28 06:07:37

Posted by member 254812 on 2005-07-27 17:36:20

hi, i'm very new to litestep, and having a problem. i've just installed the latest version from the website, and set the shell to the default theme. after rebooting, everything seems good, i can see the new wallpaper, taskbar, and the desktop right click are all working, except that:

whenever i open a program, or an explorer window, or anything like that, they all appear off the screen on the left, so i can't actually see any of them. i have to right click on the taskbar, and choose to move the window everytime.all popup dialogs appear off the screen as well.

i was wondering if there is a way to fix this...

also, when i tried uninstalling litestep, i get an error message that i'm not allowed to uninstall it, eventhough i'm using an admin account. i've also tried with the winXP default admin account, but same error...

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-07-27 19:17:20 link

your right, this is weird Litestep behaviour.

First, you need to supply us with some info about your setup.
Which website did you get the install?
How many monitors are you using?
Have you updated your litestep core (litestep.exe) with the latest RC? or even better the xStep version over at ls-universe.info?

Posted by member 254812 on 2005-07-27 21:22:52 link

hi fractaldesign, thanks for the quick reply.

i first got the installer from http://beyondconvention.net/ohussain/lsinstaller/
and that didn't work, so i got the installer by omar from here, then updated to the latest LS build (again from this site), but i still get the exact same behavior.
i only use 1 monitor, on a nvidia gf4.

i havn't tried the xStep version that you mention... should I? from what i can tell, the installer+updates seem to be working fine for others...

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-07-27 21:33:50 link

Once you move the windows back in to view, do they then re-open where they should? Or do they keep opening off screen?

This sounds like a vwm issue to me. Does it do this in themes that don't have a vwm? And have you used a different virtual desktop manager before, seperate from Litestep?

Posted by member 254812 on 2005-07-27 22:08:08 link

yeah, i thought it would save window positions, but unfortunately it didnt.

after trying the default theme, i tried nonstep, i dont know if it uses vwm, probably does, all i got was a wallpaper withn no bars so couldnt really do much from there.

can you recommend a simple theme that might work?

also, i've never used any other virtual desktop manager, or shell replacement programs

i'm going to try to install this on my flatmate's pc, i'll let you know if the same thing happens or not. it it works there, i shuold be able to trace back the problem, but any hints you could give me will be very helpful.

a few questions, might not be relevant but who knows: how much does litestep interact with system files? does it make a difference if my windows drive is E:?

anyway i'm off to bed for now, so i won't be able to check back until tomorrow.

thanks for the replies so far, i hope i can get this resolved :)

Posted by member 248213 on 2005-07-27 22:25:13 link

Litestep wont care if your windir is on E:

This is a boggling issue.

Maybe try xcal's FatBar (in the themes section)
If that fixes it :) otherwise I have no idea what the problem may be... (might even be a display driver that needs explorer as shell?)

Posted by member 1 on 2005-07-28 03:11:29 link

nope...gf4 here too...no problems. By chance yer not using that stupid nvidia tool for having multiple desktops are you? That will get your apps lost real quick.

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-07-28 04:38:09 link

Ya, if you wanted to try my Fatbar theme (update coming soon btw /shameless plug), you can gather windows with a middle click on the vwm... might straighten them out. Or any theme with a vwm and command (lsx/.editbox) and put in !execute [!vwmGather][!vwmGatherLost].

Posted by member 254812 on 2005-07-28 06:07:37 link

i'm using nvidia 77.76 BETA drivers, that could be the reason, but i doubt it, since all my games work flawlessly, and i get no artifacts/desktop corruption... i'll try fatbar and see how that goes.
also like i mentioned earlier i'll install it on 2nd PC and to see if the same thing happens.