Cant download modules Thread last updated on 2005-08-15 16:54:14

Posted by member 253216 on 2005-07-21 14:48:41

When I try download modules that are needed for the theme I want it just wont work.. I have tried to reinstall and stuff but it just wont work. What to do?

Posted by member 12025 on 2005-07-21 15:29:40 link

1. You have an internet connection open, right?
2. You don't have a firewall keeping IE from getting out, right?
3. Does it do this for all modules to download, or just some?
4. Does it say it couldn't get it, or that it got it but the zip was corrupted?
5. Have you tried sacrificing a goat to Bill Gates on the night of the full moon? :-)

Posted by member 253071 on 2005-07-21 18:13:47 link

I've had the same problem with the automatic download feature. Pretty sure it is due to the fact that I have to go through a proxy. Basically I just set aside a few hours to do a mass-downloading of pretty much every module I could find. You then place the downloaded *.zip files in your modules/archive directory of your installation. You could of course just download the modules that you actually need though. I just downloaded them all so that I wouldn't have to go searching every time I try out a new theme. :) Then, when you install/switch-to the new theme, hitting download will grab them from your modules/archive folder intead of the internet, and it should work out alright.

So, where do you download them from? Try going to this page and searching down the list. That's where I got mine anyways. I think there is another suggested site in the step.rc file if you can't find what you're after at shellfront.org.

On a bit of a topic diversion, just started using LiteStep yesterday, and I must say that I think it is fantastic. :) Keep going with it, even if you can't get it going properly straight away. It is worth the effort in my opinion.

Posted by member 12025 on 2005-07-21 18:47:59 link

Ah, yeah. If a proxy requires authentication, it definitely shouldn't work. Non-authenticating proxies probably don't due to testing. Given modern routers and software firewalls, it didn't cross my mind that anyone would go outside using anything more than a gateway setting :). So yeah, Dablo, if you're going through a real proxy, that'd do it.

For modules, there is shellfront, Loose-screws.com, and ls-universe.info (ls-universe.info is not set in OTS2, but themes will use it, and they have many newer modules).

Posted by member 181995 on 2005-08-14 16:55:51 link

This is somewhat on a tangent with the discussion, but I was trying to install the GHOST theme (I don't think it's THAT old an decrepit so as not to be compatible...) and did as mitch said and stuck the .zips in the archive section and hit download.

It didn't work, so I extracted the zip files into my default C:\Litestep\modules directory and tried switching the themes again. Didn't work.

The third time around, I replaced the files that the theme wanted to download with the files that I had downloaded and extracted into the modules directory with the select file function or something like that (right click the module you want to change) and hit download.

This time, it got like halfway through and gave me this half-assed setup screen (which didn't work) and an error saying that mzscript.dll couldn't be found. So I reverted back to Austerity and triple checked that mzscript was there in the modules directory and ran it again.

And it gives me the same thing...over and over and over and OVER!

Help?

Posted by member 1 on 2005-08-14 18:31:43 link

Did you download the correct versions of said modules?

Posted by member 181995 on 2005-08-14 20:49:55 link

Errr...

I downloaded the latest versions...do they have to be exactly the same?

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-14 21:52:36 link

They don't always have to be, but in cases where syntax has changed and/or features were added/removed/changed, you will have problems. Play it safe and get the version that the theme asks for.

Posted by member 1 on 2005-08-14 22:15:12 link

also will cause problems with not finding the correct zip in your modules dir even though something close is there. mzscript-.9.zip != mzscript-1.1.zip

Posted by member 181995 on 2005-08-15 12:18:02 link

Hmmm...I got the versions it asked for, however, it still refuses to accept them...

It's also giving me a popup telling me to "load a Desktop Module(Desktop2 or jDesk) BEFORE xLabel(light)! Otherwise you will get annoying Z-Order problems!".

I have no idea how to interpret that...

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-15 13:36:42 link

It means to move the *netloadmodule label line to the bottom of the list, or atleast move the jdesk or desktop module line to be above it.

You are putting these modules in the modules\archive folder, still zipped, right? NLM needs the modules to be properly named, and will do it automatically, if it's in that folder. For example, if a theme is using *NetLoadModule blah-3.3, and you just extract that module in to the module folder, and leave it named as blah.dll, it won't load. It needs to be blah-3.3.dll.

Posted by member 181995 on 2005-08-15 14:27:22 link

Move the NLM label line to the bottom of which list? O_o

Sorry, I'm completely new to this...

Posted by member 212670 on 2005-08-15 16:54:14 link

The wrong placement of xlabel vs jdesk:
*NetLoadModule xlabel-3.4
*NetLoadModule jdesk-0.73

The right placement of xlabel vs jdesk:
*NetLoadModule jdesk-0.73
*NetLoadModule xlabel-3.4

Go in to the theme.rc and make sure any label-type module is loaded after jdesk. In general, label modules should be loaded last of all modules, anyway.