LiteStep general questions... Thread last updated on 2005-07-17 15:49:52

Posted by member 252139 on 2005-07-17 13:30:52

My Windows XP Explorer is somehow damaged and I've tried everything to get it working again. In the meantime I thought I'd use LiteStep to have at least a useable system.

I installed Omar's Litestep installer. Everything works like a charm. I've download a couple themes... I'm glad you can install from a zip and how it auto-downloads modules.

Is there a Litestep theme out there that closely matches the Windows (e.g. 2k) default theme?

It's cool to have all this creativity with desktops going around and all, but I find most user-made Litestep themes completely useless. I just want something that can replace my Windows explorer but with the same look.

Also...

How do I get my app windows to maximize to fullscreen with the app border outside my screen? I find it really annying that I see a border around my maximized apps and how my scroll bar isn't all the way on the right.

Is there no drag-dropping of Desktop elements? Not even selection? Why does my Desktop not get refreshed when new files/folders are created?

Also I would like to control the font my Desktop icons use. Which config file is that contained in? How about turning off the audio player controls in any given downloaded theme?

I am using Omar's Litestep and the theme that came with it is Austerity.

Posted by member 124072 on 2005-07-17 13:40:42 link

1. yes, look around in the ls themes.

2. you have to open the config folder for the theme, and open up base.rc (id make a copy of the original just incase)
and for every 4 or -4 you see in the jdesk, make them 0's.

3. you cant select persay, but you can still get the right click menus that you would by right clicking in the explorer shell. If you want to delete/fix anything on your desktop, you can do so by going to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop

4. In that same config folder, open desktop_icons.rc. Look at the line saying
IconDeskDTopFont
and replace the $IconFont$ with what font you want.

5. as for the audio players, taking them out can be tricky be cause other items maybe positioned to make a seam with it, I'd suggest to just leave them there unless you're willing to heavily modify the theme.

Posted by member 1 on 2005-07-17 15:49:52 link

First off there are VERY few LS themes that look like Explorer. Most of us run LS to get away from the look of Explorer so going back really isn't an option for most. There are a few themes out there, like this one LINK, that do what you want. However, you may be very disappointed if you are actually looking for it to work like Explorer.

My best recommendation to you would be to use something along the lines of The Gathering theme. It is very configurable without a whole lot of work and has multiple skins and layouts that it supports.