Cannot Access Control Panel Thread last updated on 2005-07-23 13:42:25

Posted by member 190506 on 2004-08-30 17:44:54

Hi there. For some reason when I am running Litestep I seem to have a problm accessing the control panel. Whenever I right-click or go through the menu-esque button in the bottom left hand corner to the control panel, the menu for the control panel (or pop-up box) appears as normal and then in about 5 seconds there is an error saying "litestep has caused an error in kernel32" or something very much to that effect. After that Litestep shuts down and amusingly everything else still runs fine, I just have no taskbar or access to programs that I didn't have a window open in at the time before crashing. Anyways, not so amusingly I need to restart my computer to get everything working again. I was hoping that someone could help me. Here is a little summary of the annoyingly long thing I've just written along with some of my system's specifics:

Problem: Accessing control panel causes error in kernel32 by litestep, which then proceeds to be closed/shut down. Only restarting restarts litestep. CTRL-ALT-F1 doesn't work either because Litestep is gone, though CTRLALTDLT works.

I'm not sure if you need any further information, but I would really appreciate some help. Thanks a lot for your time to those of you who have either read through this or are going to give me help. Thanks.

Posted by member 103254 on 2004-08-30 18:16:11 link

never heard a similar problem, but i recommend you scan for PC for viruses and spyware

Posted by member 190506 on 2004-08-30 18:35:26 link

Thanks a lot, I'll try that. My computer has always been kind of weird concerning problems. It's that evil Windows ME thing. Anyways, thanks!

If any one else has heard of this before though or if anyone else has another idea, please tell me, thanks.

Posted by member 168627 on 2005-07-23 13:42:25 link

This is a different issue but similar. I installed the latest version of MSN Messenger last night and Explorer and Litestep started flipping out when I tried accessing the control panel. Running a webcam on msn seems to kill the shell as well.

I hope CC updates Trillian's webcam to work on the new version of msn soon. :(