Litestep as a business Thread last updated on 2004-08-25 08:49:42

Posted by member 77707 on 2004-08-25 04:57:23

For a couple of years now ive been watching the slow development of litestep. Ive always been a huge fan but have been frustrated by its progression. I just read the State of the Step and i came to the realization that i love litestep on a more moral level.

Ever since i was about 14 ive dreamed of working for a company like Nullsoft (the developers of winamp.) Ever since ive used litestep ive likened it to winamp in that its so elegant, functional, and third-party friendly. But one difference, that in my opinion has made Winamp so dynamic and Litestep soo static is that litestep seems less like a business and more like an ad-hoc effort. Now i have absolutely no idea if litestep makes any money at all or even if the dev team wants it too, but i know that it could.

To clarify, i would not use litestep at all if i had to pay for it, and if it had adware/spyware/etc. i would try to destroy it, but i definitely wouldnt mind seeing ads on the website. Especially if i knew that that money was going to a full-time dev team that didnt have to worry about day jobs and could concentrate on Litestep alone. And with 40,000 hits a day or whatever the litestep sites get, litestep could do pretty well.

To be honest im not sure if the dev team is or is not full time or any other details, thise are just assumptions ive made from observations. If im wrong, just ignore this post. But if my interpretation of litestep's situation is correct, then tell me what yall think about the idea of a more business-oriented litestep.

Posted by member 103254 on 2004-08-25 08:49:42 link

LS is open source, and released under the GNU GPL. People work on it during thy're free time, and the source is readily available to anyone wanting to take a look at it, or modify it for their own builds(indiestep), etc. I don't think you can compare the LS dev team to Nullsoft.

On another note, this site isn't the 'official' LS site, it's more like a theme archive.