Shell switching Thread last updated on 2004-08-25 10:47:50

Posted by member 195711 on 2004-08-24 10:35:39

Does litestep still have modules running if I switch to Explorer shell? I installed a theme, switched back to austerity, and switched to Explorer. The litestep wallpaper is still behind the one that I use for Explorer - you can see it on start up and whe I ctrl-alt-del in w2k. And I get a bunch of disk activity and hang ups. I uninstalled litestep completely, and so far no prob.

TIA

Mike

Posted by member 1316 on 2004-08-24 13:24:57 link

nope, if you switch to explorer, then litestep isn't running. the wallpaper has nothing to do with litestep, it's just a wallpaper.

Posted by member 5575 on 2004-08-24 16:15:33 link

Are there different wallpaper settings for individaul users versus "default user" or the like? It sounds as if you're seeing one on start up and then the other after you've logged in.

Posted by member 103254 on 2004-08-24 17:06:43 link

Sounds like active Desktop to me. LS set up a wallpaper the normal way, then explorer set up an active desktop WP. ActiveDesktop sets a new layer on top of your normal WP, to display JPG WPs, WebPage WPs, etc.

Posted by member 195711 on 2004-08-24 17:29:52 link

Boreas, I set it up for one user for the time being.

Funkyd00d, the jpg I set for w2k explorer *did* need active deskslop to be set, so when I three fingered the shell, the litestep wall paper came back until I selected Task mgr.

I did that to kill 40tude Dialog. It seems to have a problem with an electronics binaries group and maybe that was the prob. I didn't think to check it under "processes" tab.

Maybe I should convert that jpg WP to bmp. Active deskslop sounds like an evil resource hog from hell.

But now I know a bit more about what litestep does/doesn't, so

Thanks!

HAND

Posted by member 12025 on 2004-08-24 20:21:25 link

That's what I was talking about over at http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=4&action=view&catId=2&id=4483, Funkyd00d.

Active8: If you don't have any web content, it isn't bad at all in Win2k. But it requires explorer :). I convert any wallpaper I use to BMP, and have been fine for the past few years, save for using ~2MB per wallpaper switch :).

Posted by member 178951 on 2004-08-25 09:45:25 link

also, i've had some really wierd problems with jpg wallpapers and litestep on win2k. i can surmise that either there was a problem with my active desktop or a problem with how litestep switches your background for certain themes.

in any case, switching to bmp wallpapers worked fine and is faster so i went to that.

edit - just read the post linked to here. yeah, saw the same thing. works fine in xp.

Posted by member 195711 on 2004-08-25 10:47:50 link

Ok d00ds. I think I'll put LS back on next time I play.

I gotta say, I have no problem hacking the registry, but having an installer for LS do it for you is nice. Last program I packaged, I had to wrap NSIS inside Freemon installer. The former made the registry checks and settings easy and the latter gave me the installer GUI I liked best. I didn't care to learn the ins and outs of the Visual Stoodio installers.

Then I learn't how easy a .reg file is. I think that'll work for uninstalling keys, too.

TNX