!n00b! xDesktop install Thread last updated on 2004-08-16 20:14:41

Posted by member 192121 on 2004-08-16 18:51:59

I'm new to litestep, and wondered if some kind soul could answer my likely stupid questions.

I wanted desktop icons in litestep, so I read through some articles, and found that icondesk or xDesktop should do the trick. So I downloaded xDesktop, and read the instructions:
---------
This simulation of the explorer desktop is up to 95% identical to Explorer Desktop! Just
set the following Three Lines and you're having your OldStyle Explorer Desktop =)

xDesktopAutoCreate
xDesktopConfigFile "$ConfigDir$yourdesktopfile.rc"
include "$ConfigDir$yourdesktopfile.rc"
-----------

1) Where do I add these three lines? (step.rc? where in step.rc?)

2) Where do I put xDesktop-1.3.dll ?

3) What do I repalce 'ConfigDir' with?

4) What do I replace 'yourdesktopfile.rc' with, and do I have to create some new file?

Sorry if these questions sound dumb, I tried searching for a few days but couldn't find any n00b instructions. TIA

Posted by member 12025 on 2004-08-16 19:43:34 link

1. In a RC file of the theme, like theme.rc, or any in the Config folder. Don't be afraid--they're only text files.
2. You don't--or rather, you shouldn't.
*NetLoadModule "xDesktop-1.3" load "xDesktop-1.3.dll"
(if there is only one DLL file in the zip for it, you don't need "load "xDesktop-1.3.dll"", but I'm not sure)
3. You don't. It should automatically create that file. If not, a blank text file will do. Once it is populated, it should edit that file upon quits and recycles to save changes to the desktop items.
4. Whatever you want. You can, but I don't *think* you have to.

BTW, $ConfigDir$ will be:
"{drive letter}:\{Litestep directory}\themes\{current theme directory}\Config"
So the file in the example config could be
"C:\Litestep\themes\clearbook\config\yourdesktopfile.rc"

Posted by member 32550 on 2004-08-16 20:14:41 link

1. the best way if you're new to ls is to use this module for each theme on it's own (not global) so, set those lines (inclusive *NetLoadModule line) into your Theme.rc (\themes\"ThemeName"\Theme.rc), or a file below this root. be sure that your Desktop module (jDesk or Desktop2) is loaded before any other Module!!

2. you can put the zip file into your \modules\archive\ folder and load with the line:
*NetLoadModule xDesktop-1.2
this means it will show first into your \archive\ folder if the zip file exists, extract and place(rename if needet) the module in the right directory.
Cerbie is right, the Load module-revID.dll is only needet if there's more then one module in the zip file, so here not needet.

3. most themes use this variable for the folder \themes\"themename"\config\ ... if you want to be sure, use $themeDir$ instead of $configDir$

4. the 'yourdesktopfile.rc' means, name it as you want to ( that's why "Your Desktop File" ;)). it will create this file if it doesn't exist, and place the desktop icons (positions, links, number) in this file. I personal prefer "$configdir$desktop.rc"
the include line after xDesktopConfigFile "$ConfigDir$yourdesktopfile.rc" has to be set, that the icons can be createt on your desktop