Help! Can't find original XP startup screen - theme changed it! Thread last updated on 2004-08-08 00:09:47

Posted by member 190764 on 2004-08-07 12:14:42

Hi,

I installed the "Nintendo GameCube" theme (gamecube.exe) and it changed the startup screen on my computer. I'm using Windows XP. I thought I was preventing this problem by saving my logo.sys, logow.sys and logos.sys in a separate folder before installing themes. I was just informed that XP doesn't use Logo.sys but instead uses ntkrnl. Well, it seems like good information but I have no clue what to do with it.

How do I get my startup, shutdown and wait screens back to normal?

I love themes but I hate the ones that change my startup screens and any desktop icons other than the normal ones -- recycle bin, my computer, etc. The only way I've been able to switch them back is by installing a theme designer program and changing it there.

Is there a way to change the other icons back to normal also? Control panel only allows you to change the normal icons I listed above.

Thanks!

Posted by member 1 on 2004-08-07 12:58:41 link

First clue...NEVER EVER install an EXE theme. You have no idea what is included in it and it will do stupid annoying things like change your login screens. Unfortunatly since they used ntkrnl hacks to change it you are going to have to do the same to get it back.

Posted by member 144980 on 2004-08-08 00:09:47 link

if you install any new windows updates that'll probably change it back too.
every time i update windows i always have to switch back to my custom shutdown menu afterwards so i assume it just rewrites any edited system files.

if there's any updates you aint got yet then you could just kill two birds with one stone