Quick-close button - good or bad? Thread last updated on 2004-07-17 20:26:33

Posted by member 2112 on 2004-07-16 17:54:53

I'm playing around with making a theme to more effeciantly handle windows. One of the features I've included is a 20px x 20px shortcut in the NE corner of the screen that, when clicked, will close the current active application.

The idea is that using the corner of the screen will make it quicker and easier to close windows that are not maximised. Though I'm not sure how users will like it since easier to close will mean easier to accidentally close.

It also means you have to take more care when attempting to close an inactive maximised windows since my shortcut overlaps part of the windows close button.

What are you thoughts about the feature and what suggestions would you make?

Posted by member 12025 on 2004-07-16 18:20:57 link

If another corner is not being used, use that, or have an option to not use that close button. I'd go with having it in the corner, but using a right or middle click, rather than left. No accidents.

Posted by member 173706 on 2004-07-17 16:45:49 link

Look, I'm very interested in knowing how youre are doing this. I have tryied many ways and been only able to get the close action on enter not on click,(when you click the window looses focus so it doesent work)
The best way I got to doit is ussing STbangs module and call:!STCloseCurWindow fron a label on enter ( it does not work on click)
If you can get this done on click It'll be interesting to know how you doit.

Suggestions:
Youre Idea Is good but....
If you set youre desktop area to "0,9,0,-28" and make an xlabel 29 height allwaysontop across the top
now there is were you put your close button and..........,
there is no more titlebar for maximized windows.
now if yore are ussing taskbar for youre regular taskbar you can load tasks and hook that to youre new titlebar showing only active.
that will give you an effect you might whant.
If you are interested on managing windows I suggest you try wndman and lsplus.
literunner and kidnap are good mods but wndman is just superior IMO.
well good luck.

Posted by member 2112 on 2004-07-17 17:24:59 link

Thanks Cerbie. I should have thought of that myself

Acdc, refer to these two threads for how this is being achieved. I'm currently using the VWMDesk 0 trick but the results aren't consistant.

http://www.litestep.net/?section=4&action=details&catId=3&id=4228
http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=4&action=view&catId=8&id=1413

Posted by member 173706 on 2004-07-17 17:47:10 link

Yeah, thanks but I think I'll stick to the on enter effect its just cleaner for my setup and never fails.
but thanks for the advise.
With the new titlebar I suggested you dont have to worry about the old titlebar close, minimize,restore.
they arent there anymore, so on enter makes sense.

Posted by member 2112 on 2004-07-17 18:24:34 link

For reference, acdc, I've found another, seemingly flawless, way of assigning windows command to a button. I posted it in this thread.

Posted by member 173706 on 2004-07-17 20:26:33 link

Allright, thanks.
Tried it but Still sticking to the OnEnter way I guess I just got used to it.
The way my setup is, I depend on having my fake titlebar label and tasks(only active)for the TasksOnAdd, TasksOnDel,and TasksEmptyCmd I just got a lot of window handling stuff going on on these theme.