Desktop is locked...help Thread last updated on 2004-07-06 07:38:40

Posted by member 174735 on 2004-06-22 11:51:50

Installed Litestep today and downloaded some themes. I was installing some themes by right clicking the desktop and selecting themes/install and one that i've installed now locks the whole desktop so that i'm now unable to access the right click menu or do anything else.

I can't even remember the name of the theme, maybe called Junho, but it's the one with an anime woman dressed in black standing sideways (right side showing) and a sword in her left hand. Behind her is another sword with her reflection in the blade....

Please help, i'm completely stuck and can't get rid of this theme. I've rebooted several times but don't know what to do.

Thunderer, lost my thunder for now boo hoo....

OS Win XP sp1
mem 1GB
CPU AMD XP2600
video Asus Radeon 9800XT
MB Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
19" monitor

Posted by member 1 on 2004-06-22 13:45:56 link

sounds like a bad theme...go to task manager and set austerity back as your default theme.

Posted by member 174735 on 2004-06-22 18:20:44 link

I couldn't even do that, but i had to use MSN Messenger (starts up automatically) to open my hotmail inbox and use the file open of IE to locate the Litestep.exe and reinstall the application. This has solved my problem.

Thanks

Thunderer

By the power of Odin.....

Posted by member 1 on 2004-06-23 01:10:18 link

couldn't even do what? Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc? Run "Return to Default Theme"?

Posted by member 48370 on 2004-06-23 02:18:01 link

or else u could use task manager to open C:\LiteStep\themes\themeselect.rc and change to another theme manually by adjusting the path to it

Posted by member 174735 on 2004-06-23 07:02:28 link

I couldn't go to task manager and set austerity as my default theme as it didn't show in the task manager.

Even this morning when trying out some themes that lock the desktop, ctrl+alt+F1 to quit, or forcibly quite litestep didn't work.

Just had to take drastic steps and re-install litestep and/or delete bad themes.

At least i know how to deal with it now.

Thanks guys.

Posted by member 48370 on 2004-06-23 10:33:23 link

ctrl+alt+f1 - wow, didnt know that

well, i still dont really get why you are reinstalling litestep to change themes ... u always have the possibility to start the task manager vie ctrl+shift+esc from where u can start explorer and change the used theme in themeselect.rc as i mentioned above!

if that really does not work then u sure have some nasty stuff going on there

what do u mean by "I couldn't go to task manager and set austerity as my default theme as it didn't show in the task manager." anyway? if litestep.exe doesnt show up as a process, its most likely crashed due to some faulty module config and/or u didnt allow it to load needed modules from the net ... hmmmmm

Posted by member 1 on 2004-06-23 14:03:24 link

"what do u mean by 'I couldn't go to task manager and set austerity as my default theme as it didn't show in the task manager.' anyway?" Really...there is always the run option...its not like LS puts some magical button there for you.

Posted by member 101296 on 2004-07-06 07:38:40 link

I was in the same boat as Thunderer tonight...
I installed a theme (wasn't asked to download anything), and stupidly hit the Yes to Continue Anyway button before waiting to see the new bar etc load.
My desktop was blank (just the old theme wallpaper), with no menu's etc and no right click.
After hitting a few buttons (randomly..) I found that I could Alt-Tab to open my browser which I had been running beforehand, so I came here looking to see if someone else had had the same problem.
I couldn't get to Task Manager at all, ctrl-alt-f1 and ctrl-shift-esc both did nothing.
I ended up doing the same as Thunderer and installing the Omar installer again from online.
It's all done, but I have to restart for it to take effect.. I expect it will be all good once I do.

Really guys.. I appreciate all the ppl that attempt to help the 'noobs', but the few of you who just leave nasty comments because you're sick of the less 'geek-genius' types should maybe just ignore they're comments rather than put them down?
It doesn't get anyone anywhere; just shows arrogance.