Problems with ckVWM Thread last updated on 2003-03-11 12:32:55

Posted by member 7409 on 2003-03-11 02:53:17

I have tried searching around the existing posts for a solution to this problem, but I couldn't find anything touching this subject.

First of all, I'm using the latest stable indie-step build (ILS-2003-02-09.zip) extracted ontop of an installation of Omar's Litestep Installer, and the nonstep theme (http://www.customize.org/details/17531). The theme uses ckVWM v1.32 (I haven't compared the size or the checksums, but it comes with a v1.32 readme ; D) as VWM. Windows XP Swe, SP1 - finally beat it into submission, so I can use the Explorer for browsing my computer whilst enjoying the bliss of a clean desktop =)

The problem I have is twofold.

Firstly, if I have a maximized window on desktop 1 and I move to desktop 2 (either by RMB on the VWM or using a hotkey), the window *lingers* and is thusly moved from the first desktop to the second. This does not happen if it isn't maximized, I believe (I can verify it as soon as I get home - I'm currently at work and during my coffee break I realized I might find answers here ; D) - but nonetheless *very* annoying ; )

Now, I belive I'm using the v1.32 version of ckVWM instead of the newest v1.35 one. Again, I'll try updating once I get home and get back here to verify it. The post v1.30 changes listed in the readme does not tell of any issues fixed related to this kind of problems, though =(

The second problem I have is that it sometimes does not switch to the correct desktop when I ALT-TAB between programs. I haven't yet found a pattern for this; perhaps it only happens if the 'target' window is maximized - I can only venture a guess at this point.

Now, the readme tells of a related issue being fixed in v1.30:
// Bug fixed:
// -when clicking on task that is a maximized window, it will show the correct desktop.
...but then, why would I experience this when using v1.32?

The VWM definition part in the theme's step.rc (as opposed to my personal one) is fairly short:
";; VWM ;;

VWMNoShow
VWMAlwaysOnTop
VWMNoSwitchOnFocus
VWMFocusCenter
VWMWrapScreen
VWMFocusLast
VWMBackBmp vwmback.bmp

VWMwidth 120
VWMheight 21
VWMNoAuto
VWMNoGathering
VWMNoMove
VWMDesksX 4
VWMDesksY 1

*VWMSticky SysMeter
*VWMSticky eConsole
*VWMSticky EZpop".

Is there anything evident in there that would cause these kinds of problems?

If you want the whole step.rc, go here: http://www.customize.org/details/17531 and just choose to open it from its current location. I haven't altered mine yet, as these are the first problems I've been having with it.

*However*, I've had similar difficulties with my VWM years ago. I cannot remember if I used ckVWM though. (I recently gave Litestep another chance after seeing the nonstep screenie ; ) Also, the very reason I stopped using it back then was because of these VWM related issues.)

Am I the only one having these problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ; D

Also, if you need any further pieces of information (I've tried to supply everything worth of notice, though) I'd be happy to supply them.

Thanks.

Posted by member 99 on 2003-03-11 03:25:14 link

If you're using XP themes, that seems to somehow cause this problem sometimes. Try disabling them or using VWMHideTasksOnSwitch.

If you're not using XP themes then I don't know...

Posted by member 7409 on 2003-03-11 06:14:38 link

XP Themes..

Do you mean the Standard (blue), Light gray and Olive things? As opposed to setting it to Windows Classic?

Then yes, I'm using the Light gray one.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-03-11 06:21:35 link

You could always do what I do...disable the VWM. :)

Actually I believe RabidCow was talking about SytleXP which is a windows enhancement that adjusts widgets, similar to WindowBlinds...but I could be wrong.

Posted by member 6902 on 2003-03-11 07:07:59 link

If style XP is set not to use any ressource (ie not loading on the boot), then it is no more an issue than the xp styles (blue, white and green) - such is not the case with windowblinds. With all the ls themes I used, I never had any problem of compatibility between StyleXP and LS (but I never used nonstep), except for the fitting of both looks. Anyway, to use a classic Windows theme is always better...
:)

Posted by member 7409 on 2003-03-11 09:00:14 link

The computer in question does not have StyleXP installed, no ; )

And I would very much like this VWM to *work*..

Posted by member 99 on 2003-03-11 10:19:34 link

I don't know what it's called, I use 2000. The only way I know about this is from bug reports :) "XP visual styles"?

and short of disabling it, you might try one of these: http://www.loose-screws.com/modules.php?cat=12

Posted by member 7409 on 2003-03-11 12:32:55 link

Ok. First of all, the second problem was solved by commenting out VWMNoSwitchOnFocus ; )

The first problem only applies to moving maximized windows to the right. It is indeed solved by going Windows Classic instead of the more flashy Luna blue/grey/olive themes.

It seems as if all(/most?) VWM modules yield this problem. I tried all the ones on RabidCow's link, as well as the SysVWM and the VWM2 in the Litestep directory (xVWMx crashed horribly ; D) on two different themes (non|step, and Simplicity) and I still experienced it..

So, in conclusion: VWMs and XP Luna themes don't mix very well ; ) As you said all along, I shall add.

My thanks to you. My Litestep works now.