RabidVWM 1.1.1 focus difficulty Thread last updated on 2004-06-25 11:34:53

Posted by member 45783 on 2004-06-21 02:08:29

I'm using RabidVWMs features to open specific window classes on specific desktops, but since 1.1.1, a bug has surfaced.

LS correctly gives focus to windows opened on a different virtual desk, but the VMW will not change to that desk to actually display the program. If I visit the desk manually, and select the offending program, the problem will disappear and desks will be switched correctly from this on.

Quite annoying nonetheless, since this happens on each and every program execution, making multiple VWM desks more of a bother than advantage.

I have set
VWMSwitchOnAnyFocus
VWMFocusLast (tried FocusTop, works the same way)

Posted by member 1316 on 2004-06-24 18:42:39 link

I've had focus problems using rabidvwm for quite a while now. but it's still better than ckvwm, so I've stuck with it.

Posted by member 99 on 2004-06-24 22:50:04 link

That's a feature... or at least half of it is. I have it set to open IM windows on a specific desktop, and I don't want it switching for them. Actually, I'd rather they didn't steal focus either, but Windows is very stingy with focus control. Now, it should switch if you focus something else and then back.

I dunno, it doesn't work completely right the way I want, maybe I should make it work the other way. :/ But if you're starting stuff from shortcuts/hotkeys/popups, you can have it do !vwmdesk first instead of using *vwmstart...

Posted by member 45783 on 2004-06-25 09:10:15 link

This didn't happen on 1.0.1. On the other hand, I don't have XP or whatever forced you to make the update. It's generally better that to have these little 'features' than to have the theme break up on a specific OS.

Basically I don't use different desks much, so falling back to only one desktop could be an appropriate solution.

Posted by member 99 on 2004-06-25 11:34:53 link

1.01 and earlier had a bug with SwitchOnAnyFocus which made it very difficult to use. (eg, switch away from the desktop with the current app using the keyboard and it'd switch you back. nasty.)

In this case switching would probably be correct, but for now it's easier to leave it as it is...