What about X-OTS ? Thread last updated on 2003-03-12 09:35:30

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-03-10 10:30:46

Well, I'm here to talk about limitations of OTS, in particular its inability to deal with several accounts on the same computer. Then, I think it's time to extend the standard...

First of all, OTS doesn't allow users to run their own theme. A way to go around this is to put "step.rc" in an user specific folder, even if it could give strange results:
if you run Litestep with the option "%UserProfile%\Litestep\step.rc", Litestep will run as expected but will also popup a message box "$LitestepDir$step.rc not found" !

Then, we could move "modules.ini" in the same folder, but for this to work, themes have to be compliant:
they should use, at least, mzscript.dll and filemaster.dll and convert the LoadModule lines of modules using "modules.ini" in
*Script start !Reloadmodule ... right after a line like
*Script start !FileCopy "$UserProfile$\Litestep\modules.ini" "$LitestepDir$modules.ini"

In the same vein, every !Recycle, !Logoff, !Shutdown, !SwitchUser have to be replace by things like !XRecycle, !XLogoff, !XShutdown, !XSwitchUser; with:

*Script Bang !XQuit
*Script Exec !UnloadModule "modules that use modules.ini"
*Script Exec ...
*Script Exec !FileCopy "$LitestepDir$modules.ini" "$UserProfile$\Litestep\modules.ini"
*Script ~Bang

*Script Bang !XRecycle
*Script Exec !XQuit
*Script Exec !Recycle
*Script ~Bang

If everybody agree with this, we could go ahead...

Posted by member 1 on 2003-03-10 19:15:29 link

uhhh...are you high? There are a lot easier ways to do this, without having to re-write LS. Ill email you an example later on...I need to head to work here shortly.

Posted by member 12518 on 2003-03-10 19:17:49 link

I thought that there was a $user$ evar built into LS....
I cant check right now sooo....

But if there was :

You caould create a "Substitute" Step.rc within some folder and have settings like : Include "$LitestepDir$$user$step.rc"
which could branch off and load any theme $user$ wanted...

but you probably, you know this...

damned work arounds.......................................

]][]

Posted by member 12518 on 2003-03-10 19:21:03 link

ps I thought OTS was like a standard dudes kept to to keep theme installation neat, not code to keep LS neat...

Posted by member 12518 on 2003-03-10 23:46:18 link

ohhh no its $Username$

"you can do it..."

]][]

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-03-11 00:57:10 link

Ok, let's create a "Litestep" folder in the "$DocumentsDir$" and let's put into it the regular "$LitestepDir$step.rc".
The regular "$LitestepDir$step.rc" should only containt this line:
Include "$DocumentsDir$Litestep\step.rc"

Now, themes that want to be "X-OTS" compliant have to deal with this to let users change themes without disturbing others...

If everyone ok, we will talk about serious things when I had sleep a while...
cya

Posted by member 1 on 2003-03-11 01:15:42 link

You also can not move the modules.ini file from $LiteStepDir$, at least last time I played with it. As I said in another thread though, modules.ini isn't used very much anymore.

Now...here is the big question. You seem to be making one change to the OTS system, to allow for multiple users. How many people do you believe have multiple users on their home PC? And, how many of those, percentage wise, do you belive use multiple themes at home without understanding how to use LSTS or LSCP?

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-03-11 01:48:38 link

I don't care about that. I have a friend who's father playing with his computer. His father like Litestep. But not the theme my friend use. His father works with an 800*600 resolution. My friend, with 1280*1024.
My friend has his shortcut. His father has his specific ones. They use my themes witch allow things like this.

Posted by member 7 on 2003-03-11 01:55:18 link

You might want to use parallel Litestep installs for the time being.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-03-11 02:05:12 link

so teach them how to run LSTS or LSCP to switch themes...or set LSTS as their shell so they can pick their own theme on startup.

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-03-11 11:25:30 link

About "modules.ini": the LSXCommand history is store in it; and each user must have their own... The way I use the script above works.
The focal point of this story is not only to allow users having independent themes...

I just wanted to enlarge the regular OTS system to include some user specific stuff. I begun this introduction with theme switching, but there's a lot more of things to do since this door is open...

If nobody think it could be a good idea, I'll keep it for my own...

Posted by member 99 on 2003-03-11 21:20:44 link

Now, you shouldn't go changing standards recklessly, but why stop trying just because you don't think anyone will use it? Do you really know that? (not that I do, *I* wouldn't use it... :)

That said, swapping modules.ini around will cause trouble if any installed theme uses NetLoadModule, as it stores things there (by default) that should be common to all users of the computer. If you blindly swap it around, it might reinstall some modules for every user.

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-03-12 01:15:20 link

I never talk about "stop trying"... I'll continue to have fun

Posted by member 12518 on 2003-03-12 02:29:13 link

I still say its feasible with the $username$ evar, If the evar works of course.

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-03-12 09:35:30 link

I prefer using "$DocumentsDir$" but it's just a question of taste...