!LoadModule Thread last updated on 2004-05-28 15:45:49

Posted by member 159957 on 2004-05-26 20:14:52

I see there is !unloadModule and !reloadModule.
But is there a bang called !LoadModule.
This is probably the first bang ever but i just cant find reference to it.
I tried it but it dont seem to work.
thanks,

Posted by member 1 on 2004-05-26 20:24:22 link

nope...if you want to load a module you need to use !reloadmodule. However...you probably want to look into the NetLoadModule stuff instead.

Posted by member 159957 on 2004-05-26 21:17:51 link

Interesting stuff that NetLoadModule.I knew there would probably be a reason to regret have taken it out.
What its not clear to me is that if *NetInstallModule basiclly downloads a module and moves it to the module directory. and !NetReloadModule actually Loads the Module.
Why is it then that being that I already have the module installed on the directory !ReloadModule doesent load the mod.

*Edit sorry it actually does work.
!ReloadModule=!LoadModule
cool
I think a more appropiate name for the bang would have been !LoadModule

Posted by member 159957 on 2004-05-26 21:52:32 link

This is one of the things that I really like about Litestep
there is always some new funcionality to find about.
To me the ability to Load and unload modules as I please is a brand new game.
This is great.

Posted by member 1 on 2004-05-26 23:27:34 link

loading modules like that is bad...

Posted by member 99 on 2004-05-27 00:53:45 link

The reason you'd use !NetReloadModule instead of !ReloadModule is so you don't have to worry about where the module is. eg, if the user selects an alternate dll in the download dialog from *NetInstallModule, !NetReloadModule will still find it. Or if the zip file has more than one dll in it, !NetReloadModule will find the right file without having to worry about whether or not it got put into its own subdirectory. Even more unlikely, if the user uses !NetUninstallModule on it or deletes the dll, !NetReloadModule will try to download it again.

You can also use !ReloadModule with the $PathToXXX$ vars, but only if you always load NLM and never use !Reload. (these vars stay set if you unload NLM, but !reload/!refresh will wipe them out)

Posted by member 159957 on 2004-05-27 01:22:49 link

Ok,I tried it with Lsslider !reloading and !Unloading instead of toggle visibility. I did all I could to make it crash (recycling,unloading,reloading,changing theme, while playing music) and couldnt make it crash.
I was pretty happy with it but I just had two LS illegal ops on user.exe and one on kernel(havent had those In a long long while) Now those have happened while the module was not loaded so I dont think Its lsslider.
Could the Lsslider lines on the theme.rc be confusing LS being that they are there while the module is not loaded.
Edit:Dev: yeah I hear what youre saying.
RC:Im ussing !reloadModule c:\litestep\modules\lsslider.dll
!unloadModule c:\litestep\modules\lsslider.dll

Is there like and IF,ELSE statement like IF lsslider Loaded
What would right the sintax for that statment be.

Posted by member 159957 on 2004-05-27 13:42:32 link

I appreciate very much the help so far.
This is the situation.

I Load Modules ussing LoadModule line (no NetLoadModule)
I have this line on the theme.rc:
*Slider "Main Volume" 730 545 2 "vol.bmp" "knob.bmp" HI [VOLUME] 0
I dont have lsslider loaded
I am ussing:
!reloadModule c:\litestep\modules\lsslider.dll
!unloadModule c:\litestep\modules\lsslider.dll
It looks like if I toggle the slider visibility.
The positive aspect I see is that I could avoid some conflicts lsslider has on my setup.
What would the negative aspects be.

(My concern is having the:*Slider "Main Volume" 730 545 2 "vol.bmp" "knob.bmp" HI [VOLUME] 0
line on the theme.rc cache while the module is not loaded and that that could create LS conflicts.)

Posted by member 31 on 2004-05-28 10:10:28 link

you can put:

*gobilygook I a worthless step.rc line

in your step.rc and litestep doesn't care. All that it does is add to the size of the file, and the time to load it.

There is nothing wrong with using !un/reloadmodule. If there is, then there is a bug an it needs fixing (which I doubt there is). Good luck.

Posted by member 159957 on 2004-05-28 15:45:49 link

now we are talking,
Thanks a lot.