the best desktop / icon module ? Thread last updated on 2004-05-19 15:12:35

Posted by member 162532 on 2004-05-19 06:00:49

hi guys !
what do you think ? whats the best desktop/icon module ?
currently, i am using the standard module which comes with
litestep.

somehow, i am not really satisfied with the icons on my desktop.. i cannot move them, cannot create new, cannot change them..

so - what do you guys use for your desktop icons ?

sebastian

Posted by member 45783 on 2004-05-19 08:00:13 link

Sorry to disappoint you, but along with the taskbar, desktop icons and other desktop functionality are something Litestep cannot fully reproduce as of now. Using XLabel's desktop functions allow you to move the icons, but you still cannot drop items on it (without additional tinkering or modules) or arrange them (AFAIK impossible).

But the problem isn't as bad as it seems, since according to my experience (and many others too), the desktop is not such an useful or irreplaceable tool. Personally I tend to keep (and always have) all applications maximized and use a C:\Temp folder to keep unneccessary stuff floating around, so what the desktop does, isn't useful anyway.

This is the trick with many LS functions and features. Everything cannot be emulated, but many things can be countered by a different (and sometimes better) computer usability philosophy.

PS: This is something I'd like to talk about more. How people prefer to do simple tasks etc. - could lead to better themes and innovations overall.

Posted by member 102612 on 2004-05-19 11:57:31 link

Personally I don't see the need for icons on the desktop. MS trained users that they need desktop icons. They don't. App windows always cover them up anyway so it's very inefficient to move or minimize a window (and later restore it) so you can click on a desktop icon.

Posted by member 17337 on 2004-05-19 13:00:09 link

mutanto - if a fully functional "ms style" desktop is what you are lookin for, I don't think that there is one module that will do it for you. Using xLabel/jDesk you can come close, with some tweaks.

Warma/mestdagh - 100% agree with both of you. I run apps max'ed so the desktop space is almost always covered. I too would like to see some discussion on usability and the way people accomplish tasks.

Posted by member 102612 on 2004-05-19 15:12:35 link

the_space_guild: I never run apps maxed but usually have multiple windows open in each virt window. Same effect I guess.
When I have time, I want to post the "mestdagh manifesto" on useability and efficiency. It'd be a good starting point for this discussion. Just need the time.