icondesk 0.67 Thread last updated on 2004-04-16 02:43:46

Posted by member 144637 on 2004-04-15 03:33:47

Had LS for about...5 days or so. Tryin to pick up on things and see how everything is interconnected. Doing my best, but I think I may be seen in the forum fairly regularly for awhile

Here is the situation:
I am experimenting with some ideas. What I am trying to do, is have about 3 buttons on the top left of the theme that I havent even thought about starting (currently using Winamp buttons on my Symax theme) and having each button linked to a certain folder. I figured that using icondesk and one of these:

*IconDeskFolder
IconDeskGroups name1[,name2[,name3]]

I could have everything work. What I WANT to happen is, when you CLICK a button, it hides the desktop's current icons, then displays the icons for whatever folder the button is linked to. Obviously there would be one set for .desktop I just thought it might be an interesting way to move around and access common folders etc.

What I had been trying (besides everything else) was in my step I added:
IconDeskGroups folder1
IconDeskGroups folder2
IconDeskGroups folder3
folder1 ".desktop"
folder2 "C:\WINDOWS\"
folder3 "C:\Program Files\"

Then using the already existing labels for the Winamp buttons, I tried to edit the script.rc to be something like:
*script bang !Play
*script exec !IconDeskShow folder1
*script exec !IconDeskHide folder2
*script exec !IconDeskHide folder3
*script exec !IconDeskUpdate folder1
*script ~bang

~~~~~ Then I repeated this 2 more times for folder2 and folder3

Sorry the post was so long, but I wanted to try and be thorough. And before you jump my case, remember I have only had litestep for ~ 1 week.

If anyone has ANY idea what I am talking about, I would gladly appreciate any help.

Posted by member 144637 on 2004-04-15 03:35:43 link

BTW.... I have tried changing the folder1 in the script to $folder1$ , "folder1" , "path_to\folder_used\" , !IconDeskfolder1Show

Posted by member 102612 on 2004-04-15 17:41:47 link

I'd say you're doing good for using litestop only a week. I'm big into analyzing my work habits and optimzing litetep to reduce my clicks and movement. So I'm doing something very similar. I click a button (shortcut) and I move to next directory. I have it setup for my 3 most commonly used directories (Programs, My Documents and temp). Each click of the button goes to next directory. I also have an "up" button to navigate to the parent dir.

The difference between our methods though is I'm using deskfolders and shortcuts. No scripts. Your way might be cleaner though if you can get it to work. I really had a tough time getting the logic right using shortcuts for the buttons to move from folder to folder. Lot's of toggles, hides, shows, ontops. Still working on my interface or I'd point you to it.