LiteStep won't run... Thread last updated on 2004-04-19 18:36:14

Posted by member 93344 on 2004-04-13 07:31:28

I'm on XP, and I can't get LiteStep to run instead of explorer. I installed it and restarted, clicked "Set LiteStep as shell" and restarted again. Nothing. I try it again. Still nothing. It loads up like normal. So I just run LiteStep.exe and it gives me some warning. I click ok and then I CTRL+ALT+DEL and close explorer. LiteStep loads then, but I don't like doing that. I want it to load at start up instead of explorer. I tried using ShellON but it didn't work either. I hit the restart button and it never restarted my computer, so I did it myself and it never asked me which shell I wanted to use. helppppppp

Posted by member 144637 on 2004-04-13 23:35:09 link

Have you tried manually editing your system.ini file to point to litestep.exe as the shell?

Posted by member 32550 on 2004-04-13 23:50:07 link

@LoveSonge:
WinXP doesn't have the shell in the system.ini, that's only win9x/ME. the shell of winNT Based OS is set in the registry.

Most problems on winNT based is, that the users haven't any Admin rights. that's why it wouldn't install, cause LS needs to change a few reg entries.
Now that we know that, letz have a look at the following strings and repair them:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\

In this folder you'll find an entry called:

shell | REG_SZ | explorer.exe

set it to your own:

shell | REG_SZ | x:/litestep/litestep.exe

----------------------------------------

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\ system.ini\boot\

check if the shell is set to:

SYS:Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

If it is, set it to:

USR:Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

----------------------------------------

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ BrowseNewProcess\

if the entry BrowseNewProcess = "YES", if it is set to "NO", change it, but if there issn't any Entry called BrowseNewProcess, just rightclick -> New -> Key name it to BrowseNewProcess and set the value to "YES".

The last one to check:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\

the entry called DesktopProcess.
The value has to be "1".
if the entry doesn't exist, rightclick -> New -> DWORD, name it to DesktopProcess and set the value to "1"

..... if these entries are checked.... ls will run on startup.

Posted by member 93344 on 2004-04-15 20:36:49 link

I tried the registry things you posted, and it didn't do anything.

:(

Posted by member 32550 on 2004-04-15 20:40:53 link

hmm... than it's very strange, cause these settings are the things to make LS run. Now I'm really surprised and speachless.....

Posted by member 1 on 2004-04-15 20:49:34 link

it sounds like you don't have admin rights on the machine. It also sounds like HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE isn't set correctly.

Posted by member 135953 on 2004-04-17 14:32:31 link

does doing this have an advantage, performance wise? and what about the login dialog, just curious if it will still be explorer.

Posted by member 1316 on 2004-04-19 18:36:14 link

philosopher, what?! this has nothing do with performance. under a dying sun is just trying to set LS as the shell, which is normally done by the installer, but for some reason for him wasn't.
and yes...the login dialog will still be explorer. why wouldn't it be? LS has nothing to do with the login dialog.