Virus Found!!! Thread last updated on 2004-03-22 14:36:43

Posted by member 128566 on 2004-03-20 17:09:35

I have been using Lite Step for several weeks now with fairly good results. Last week i downloaded some of the available skins and after installing it lost all of the icons on my desktop. After several hours of trying to resolve it rebooted using a virus reference disk. I was then able to reach the "safe mode". I have yet to reached the desktop in the "normal mode" to run windows again.

My escan ISS 2003 virus program is the best on the market and according to the report indicated that it found some virus references. that conclusion was also back up Trend Micro which confirm the same.

Since then whenever I boot up on my other drives which has Lite Step default skin it will crash whenever I use Winamp, GuruNet, Net Captor, Slim Browser, Fast browser, Avant Browser, Smart Browser and IE 6. I have run out of alternative browsers to use. Could you recommend a browser that works well with Lite Step without crashing.

I realize this program is a work in progress and that you're working diligently to resolve this and other issues that confront while improvements are being made. I would like to offer a few minor suggestions which be to allow access to stand window functions such as find, files, folders, start, and so on. Some of us still need them.

Could you also consider providing some access to unload Lite Step rather than having to uninstall it to get back to the desktop to use basic windows features.

Lite Step is a good concept which I sure be in demand once these minor inconveniences are resolved. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone can give as to why all of the programs shown in the windows program menu do not appear in the lite Step program index. Thank You

Posted by member 99 on 2004-03-20 17:54:50 link

Hm, you seem to be having an exceptionally unlucky experience here... most people don't have that many difficulties. :(

Not all themes include desktop icons. Desktop icons simply not showing up is not an error.

It's possible that a theme included a virus-infected executable, but highly unlikely. (most don't include any executables at all) You probably picked that up somewhere else. (though if you can verify that it was a theme, be sure to say which one)

There's no reason why IE shouldn't work in general with LiteStep, there's just a few minor features that are hardwired to use explorer. You don't really list any alternate browsers though, just different wrappers for IE. Try Mozilla FireFox or Opera.

Find, files, folders, and the equivalent of the start menu work just fine in LiteStep, just differently.

On Windows 2000 and XP you need to be able to edit the registry to uninstall, which is almost impossible without booting into Windows. Not much we can do about it. On Win9x it's very easy to remove LiteStep from MSDOS mode.

Posted by member 2112 on 2004-03-22 01:13:02 link

"Could you also consider providing some access to unload Lite Step rather than having to uninstall it to get back to the desktop to use basic windows features."

From your popup menu (equivelent of start menu) go to litestep > utilities > Set Shell. Click the explorer button. It will ask if you would like to reboot. You don't have to reboot to have the shell change though. Just log out and back in again and you should see the explorer shell.

Posted by member 333 on 2004-03-22 04:26:06 link

what DrWorm says should help you out, but if you're unsure about that method or whatever, you always try to search for "litestep" in your registry, and just use common sense to change the settings to point to explorer.exe instead

Posted by member 128566 on 2004-03-22 14:26:40 link

Let me first say thank you for responding to my comments. The information you all have provided was very useful in resolving some of the issues I had with the functionality of Lite Step. I understand that some of the problems will be resulting from my inexperience with the inner workings of this program. I found another link for Downloading Lite Step and uninstall the previous version and reinstall it without a hitch. The link was provided by one of the respondents to this thread. This version of Lite Step was considerably different from the previous one and performed much better. I will provide the source of that link once I find it again. If anyone can can provide me with a link which explains how to use this program will be appreciated. Again Thank you for your comments.

Posted by member 128566 on 2004-03-22 14:36:43 link

The source for the good copy of Lite Step and the installer was located and obtained from LS-Universe if anyone is interested. Also I recieved the general noticed regarding the eroneous and malicious virus message being sent using Lite Step's copyright.