Idea Thread last updated on 2004-03-01 09:02:03

Posted by member 125511 on 2004-02-27 12:25:56

I have a feature suggestion for LS. This is something i can't help at notice explorer has but LiteStep doesn't. What i have in mind: -Explorer is capable of loading(and loads) without a reboot.
-Upon having shut down explorer due to a (Not Responding) from the windows task manager explorer restarts itself right after.
I've noticed LS doesn't do this when i've had to shut it down from the task manager and nor does it load immidietaly when i switch to it from the SetShell utility. Whereas i've used the SetShell utility while in LS, refused the boot prompt and explorer has instantly loaded itself. I think these features would mostly be good to have during the beta, while LS having to shut down all of a sudden isn't such an uncommon problem.

Posted by member 12025 on 2004-02-27 13:30:42 link

the new task combo in task manager remembers the last few things you used it for Make one LS, and i's not to bad.

Posted by member 1 on 2004-02-27 13:59:00 link

I haven't had LS crash on me in a good 4 or 5 months. What are you guys doing that makes it so unstable? Also...you can get this functionality out of shellON. Something like this can not be within LS because LS can't notice when it crashes and restart itself so it must be part of an external application.

Posted by member 125511 on 2004-02-27 14:55:42 link

It's the custom themes, if i'd make my own theme i'd make it stable and only use modules i've never had problems with, but with these custom themes, they were made for different computers with different OS's and capabilities. I can't expect them to run smoothly. O well i can always keep explorer running in the background so when i become shell'less again i can edit the theme file and restart LS. :)

Posted by member 1 on 2004-02-27 19:04:50 link

if a module is not stable on one machine it should be unstable on many many others. what modules have you been having problems with, what os, and which themes?

Posted by member 125511 on 2004-02-28 08:43:24 link

Windows 98 First edition. There's too many modules and themes to list. Well first of all i have 6 stable themes installed, out of 30 others i've tryed and ended up having all sorts of module errors, they haven't always been so critical as to force LS to shut down but sometimes LS seems to just give up after too many module errors. The module errors are mostly about missing values, "Unable to find variable..." etc. errors about missing components, even some with missing modules. This only occurs with themes for which the ThemeInstaller downloads additonal modules for and the installation of these themes goes smoothly, except for this ONE time it failed to unzip this jcde module the MacOS theme uses. Of recent attempts the KDE theme caused errors on theme switch. But i've never had any problems running on Austerity. :)

Posted by member 1 on 2004-02-28 10:07:03 link

So basically you are saying that you don't want these issues fixed? ok kewl...so STOP COMPLAINING!

Posted by member 125511 on 2004-02-28 10:51:19 link

I didn't make this thread to complain about crashing or general software problems with LS, i can deal with those myself. I made this to suggest this feature for loading without reboot. You made it clear it isn't possible to have LS do it itself. You asked what os, themes and modules i've had errors with, i brought some examples...

Posted by member 5669 on 2004-02-28 11:31:50 link

hmmm windows 98... that could cause a problem or two... or thirty.

Posted by member 99 on 2004-02-28 12:23:11 link

"Unable to find variable" is because the theme is buggy. Contact the theme's author and let them know. This is probably easy to fix.

If NetLoadModule can't find a module, this is also probably because of a buggy theme. Most likely they're trying to use the wrong name for a module and never bothered to test it. Or maybe you don't have a *NetLoadModuleSite that you should.

If Windows tells you that it can't find the dll, that is probably because the module in question requires at least Windows 2000, although there are other possibilities.

Posted by member 7991 on 2004-02-29 08:15:45 link

Devilboi: Man, why do you always act like such a punk?

Posted by member 7 on 2004-03-01 09:02:03 link

You can get the auto-reloading part by setting LSSetAsShell (restart ls.exe after that, don't just recycle). I'm not sure if it works on 9x, but it does on 2K. Note that this settings has a few sideeffects (on 2k anyway), such as breaking explorer's auto-refresh when you create a new file/folder.