True resolution independence Thread last updated on 2004-02-22 06:25:32

Posted by member 79626 on 2004-02-20 17:05:33

I'm looking for a recommendation - best theme to disect to learn new methods of resolution independence. I find placemet to not be a problem. What I am looking fo is the best solution for preserving the quality and size of graphical elements.

ie. I have a bar theme. Placing the parts of the ui on the same spot of the screen no matter the resolution is easy. But, is the best solution for keeping the size of the bar consitent to have multiple sets of .rc's and graphics files? Or should I just use a bunch of IF ELSE statements and scale the pics?

Posted by member 37809 on 2004-02-21 10:51:21 link

I haven't explored the subject theme skins enough, but keeping your cutting up of graphics to a minimum definitely makes things easier.

I believe multiple sets of .rc's and graphics files to be the better solution. That way you can just create a new theme skin whenever you feel like it, without having to walk through your theme configuration updating if-then(s).

A theme skin in this case would be graphics for all your components, and some .rc containing evars for common settings to be consistent throughout theme components, such as text colors, font sizes, component borders, background drawing modes...

I don't know if this scheme has ever been used by a theme, if the reason is that modules don't necessarily skin themselves the same way (e.g. taskbar3 vs. label) in terms of graphics requirements. Another example is that it may be the case that some modules take point sizes instead of pixels for font sizes.

Posted by member 109836 on 2004-02-21 17:26:57 link

disect nonstep, Im working on it and its code does the job well.

then again, Im biased, since I adopted it as my bastard offspring

Posted by member 2112 on 2004-02-22 06:25:32 link

Look at the default theme, Austerity.