austerity shrinks the desktop Thread last updated on 2004-02-18 05:38:51

Posted by member 121938 on 2004-02-18 03:15:45

Why I can't find any other thread concerning this problem!

I'm looking for a new theme because the default one doesn't show all desktop icons. Thus I can only access them through the file manager. It only shows the first column of them.

How do I change that? Or is it "a feature"? The odd margin even cuts some of the icons' names. "Acrobat Rea".

Regards,
Bamse

Posted by member 121938 on 2004-02-18 03:55:30 link

Forgot to mention I'm using Win98, and that's a reason enough to use LiteStep (you know Explorer). And about that new theme thing... Forget it. I can't install new themes. Theme installer wants to download the same modules over and over again and still the theme doesn't find them. Any other theme than austerity causes an illegal operation. And then I'm stuck and I have to reboot or if LiteStep left me with the file manager open, I can click the "Switch to default theme" shortcut. Otherwise:
boot -> DOS -> deltree theme -> Win -> win+r -> explorer -> Switch to default theme.

I guess I have to dump LiteStep. I hope not.

That desktop problem is very nasty.

Regards,
Bamse

Posted by member 7 on 2004-02-18 05:38:51 link

Litestep has to emulate the desktop icons as they are part of the Explorer shell. There is a decent desktop icons module called IconDesk, but that apparently doesn't work on 9x. Since you are running Win98 you have deskfolders running. It works on 9x but is quite buggy. That may explain the cut off titles.
About the missing icons, you need to edit "desktop_icons_9x.rc" in litestep\themes\austerity\config. Especially the size() parameters in there.