School IT system and litestep. Thread last updated on 2004-01-26 12:00:40

Posted by member 4606 on 2004-01-26 04:38:09

I'm thinking about implementing litestep on my user area on the College network - (RM Connect 2.4). Any of you who have experience with this system will know that it is logon based - the students (i.e. me) log on to the workstations with a user/password and our filespace areas are kept on a server.
No display/registry etc. settings are kept protected on the computer and anything you change is reverted to normal on reboot/relogon.
My current logon system does the following:
Changes res, copies shortcuts, applies a desktop image, removes restrictions using a registry file, and starts bb4win as bb4win is a shell that doesn't require a reboot to use.

Of course, i prefer litestep as a user environment and would love to use that.

So if i was to create an (OTS2) install directory in my filespace, i'd need to do a variety of tasks to use it:

1) associate litestep as the shell
2) kill the current explorer shell
3) apply any other reg settings such as letting explorer do file managing tasks without opening as a shell
4) start litestep.

What registry keys do i need to apply to do this, bearing in mind i can't reboot between installs? (The systems are all windows 98 SE.) Is it even possible?

Replies appreciated,
kalleth.

Posted by member 4606 on 2004-01-26 04:40:48 link

note: i know i can't kill the explorer shell with regkeys... i'm working on an app to do this ;p

Posted by member 7 on 2004-01-26 06:05:34 link

Litestep doesn't require a reboot either. The only reason why the *Installer* reboots is that without the reboot explorer may not work in file manager mode. bb4win has the same problem though. The registry keys should be the same as for bb4win.

Posted by member 4606 on 2004-01-26 06:53:21 link

i'll check the bb4win (its actually bblean, but same difference..) for reg keys, but if i can't find them...?

Posted by member 7 on 2004-01-26 12:00:40 link

Then check the sticky thread in this forum: "IMPORTANT: How to edit the registry to install LiteStep properly"
:)