Resizing Desktop Area Thread last updated on 2004-01-09 16:25:54

Posted by member 97484 on 2004-01-08 16:25:23

OK, basically I'm using !jDeskSetWorkArea to resize my desktop, BUT because I want a few combination of desktop size depending on which taskbars are opened I have been using relative resizement:

[!jDeskSetWorkArea "4, .none, .none, .none"] ; Minimize
[!jDeskSetWorkArea "176, .none, .none, .none"] ; Maximize

Now this part works fine. but when I come to the other side of the screen it all goes wrong
It seems to put the windows so their top border cannot go above -176 from the BOTTOM

[!jDeskSetWorkArea ".none, .none, -4, .none"] ; Minimize
[!jDeskSetWorkArea ".none, .none, -76, .none"] ; Maximize

If I put in relative values (as above) it doe not seem to work at all this is even with the left taskbar command commented

Yet if I put in absolute values:

[!jDeskSetWorkArea "4, 4, -4, -51"] ; maximize
[!jDeskSetWorkArea "4, 4, -176, -51"] ; minimize

It works fine... but obviously I can't use the left taskbar in this way.

Can anyone help? or think of another way to acomplish this feat?

~ Boli

Posted by member 2112 on 2004-01-08 17:27:36 link

I think I've reported this problem before to RabidCow. I believe there is a work around that's not mentioned in the doc, wich involves specifying one edge at a time. Unfortunately I can't remember. Sorry I can't help anymore, but I can confirm that it's not something you are doing wrong.

Posted by member 7 on 2004-01-09 03:07:53 link

I've also encountered this. The '.' in ".none" confuses it afaik. I don't think there's a documented workaround at the moment, besides using "absolute" values of course.

Posted by member 97484 on 2004-01-09 03:33:40 link

Taking the "." off the .none value doesn't work neither does putting the values in separate "#" e.g.

[!jDeskSetWorkArea .none, .none, "-76", .none]

Norr does follwing my programming instincts on the matter, including brackets as if I were passing variables:

[!jDeskSetWorkArea(.none, .none, "-76", .none)]

That just confused it.

I think I have figured a work around but I can't seem to access the local variables using !bangs (i.e. $variable$)

My Line of thought is a bit convoluted but I would create !ToggleLeftBar which would set a local variable noting that left bar was open. Next the same shortcut would read !SetDeskArea which is written so it read all of these local variables (LeftBar, RightBar whatever) and request the !jDeskWorkArea using absolute variables

Unfortunatly the only way I know to modify varables in !bangs is to store them on a separte .rc file (normally called vars.rc or flags.rc).

This method WOULD work but it would require a recycle of the desktop and is not the best plan.

So if anyone knows of a better workaround PLEASE tell me I'm running out of ideas. either that or we band together and beat up Rabid Cow untill he fixes this oversight ;P

I'm just annoyed because the relative values work on the left bar but not on the right.

~ Boli

Posted by member 36955 on 2004-01-09 15:00:51 link

well... if you save them using mzscript, then you can call
!exec !jdesksetworkarea %{top}, %{left}, %{bottom}, %{right}

since !exec expands mzvars... just set up the variables initially, and then to change the desktop area, change the variable with !varset and use that bang... i think thats a much more elegant solution anyway(:

Posted by member 7 on 2004-01-09 16:10:26 link

There's a fixed version of jdesk here. If you want to use NLM to download it, its version number is 0.73.

Posted by member 97484 on 2004-01-09 16:25:54 link

It ALMOST works... it doesn't keep the variables from the previous change in memory. i.e. you open the left taskbar, works fine. Leave it open and open the right, the relative values are taken from the default values not the changed values.

Still and improvement because my windows don't disappear off the bottom of the screen :D

~ Boli