request Thread last updated on 2003-12-21 17:34:56

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-12-21 01:13:15

It'd be nice to have a module that did nothing other than create variables you can use in litestep reflecting the current key being pressed (or null if none) and any modifier keys.

It could have such practical applications as...

Using rabidvwm, mzScript and lswallpaper,

in rabidvwm.rc:
VWMOnSwitchTo1 !SetWallpaper1
VWMOnSwitchTo2 !SetWallpaper2

in script.rc:
*Script bang !SetWallpaper1
*Script exec !ifEval ("$KeyShift$" = "false") {!Wallpaper paper1.bmp}
*Script ~bang

*Script bang !SetWallpaper2
*Script exec !ifEval ("$KeyShift$" = "false") {!Wallpaper paper2.bmp}
*Script ~bang

...this would make it so each of your 2 virtual desktops have a different wallpaper, but if you're holding the shift-key down while you switch desktops, it won't load the wallpaper (if you just wanna do a quick little check on the progress of a transfer or whatever).

Another practical application would be that you could have a matrix of virtual desktops - 3 across and, say, 3 down:

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

...but only have a 3x1 vwm window so it fits into your bar horizontally... then set something up so if you aren't holding any of the number keys down when you click on one of the 3 vwm desktop windows, it goes to desktop 1 2 or 3.. if you're holding the '1' key, it goes to 4, 5, or 6.. if you're holding the '2' key it goes to 7, 8, or 9. You could have your vwm matrix be as many rows deep as there are key combinations :)

Posted by member 99 on 2003-12-21 09:01:32 link

VWMOnSwitchTo !SetWallpaper ^@dc^ ^@ks^

*script bang !SetWallpaper
*script exec !ifEval ("%{\2}" = "false") {!Wallpaper paper%{\1}.bmp}
*script ~bang

Posted by member 37809 on 2003-12-21 17:34:56 link

Using numbers assumes you don't have say, Notepad in focus.

If you strictly never use your keyboard numberpad, I guess you could use them without modifier keys through jKey to switch among those desktops...

I have a per-desktop wallpaper scheme where there is a delay before wallpaper is actually applied, to account for deciding a target desk while switching.

I guess I could adds checks to prevent redundant wallpaper changes.