help regarding shortcuts/starting apps please! ;D Thread last updated on 2003-12-16 14:20:32

Posted by member 93424 on 2003-12-15 15:13:38

okay... uh.. how can i apply a bang to a shortcut. like.. i want to be able to go !cs and that to reference to c:\games\cs\cstrike\cstrike.exe. can you do this in one of the config files? please help as I am a noob to ls!

and why the apparent lack of shortcuts in.. most ls themes? surely a shortcut bar is better than clicking and going thru archaic menus ;D

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Corp

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-12-15 16:16:28 link

1 - probably easier than making a bang would be to put
cs c:\games\cs\cstrike\cstrike.exe

in your $personaldir$evars.rc, so then you can type $cs$ whenever you want to open it, or put "$cs$" if you want to use it in something like a shortcut.

2 - 2 reasons: shortcuts take up valuble screen space that could be better used by your open windows, and they are also actually slower than either well configured popup menus, hotkeys, hotspots, or mouse gestures, none of which take up any screen space at all.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-12-15 16:18:56 link

You could associate it to a bang with something like mzScript...or an alias to LSXCommand...or just use an evar in the step. Your call really.

Shortcuts were removed from themes basically to allow for portability. The shortcuts on your machine that you want and use differ from those I want on my machine. We did find repeating application types and were able to come up with the basic evar setup when OTS1 rolled out, but there really isn't anything else to be added. If you want to add shortcuts to your theme you can of course...just requires a little more work on your part.

Posted by member 93424 on 2003-12-15 16:36:07 link

hmm... $cs$ is still longer than !cs ;)

could i use this thing? i saw in a script.rc...

*Script bang !blah
*Script exec
*Script ~bang

could I replace with a path to an app? that would be cool ;D

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-12-15 16:38:10 link

yup, thats another option... make sure you put quotes around the path if it has spaces in it though

Posted by member 93424 on 2003-12-15 16:53:30 link

thanks... one last thing. how do I add things like -dev -console? outside the "s? or what... when i add em on either side it says 'not found' and if i link to the shortcut it doesnt work either.

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-12-15 17:49:05 link

you have to use single quotes, like
*script exec "'c:\games\cs\cstrike\cstrike.exe' -dev -console"

(im pretty sure thats right, someone correct me if its not)

Posted by member 7 on 2003-12-15 18:12:30 link

How about
*Script exec "C:\Path with spaces\example.exe" parameters

Posted by member 93424 on 2003-12-15 18:49:45 link

cool, I'm all fixed. thanks for all the help guys ;D

corp

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-12-15 19:28:37 link

Corps, if you want to make it even easier and more scalable you can follow this method:

Create a windows shortcut for the executable you want to launch. Name that shortcut "cs". Move the shortcut to your \WINNT\ or \Windows\ directory.

Now, regardless of what theme you're running, regardless of whether you're even running LITESTEP or whether you're in windows explorer, at any time you can summon a Run... dialog (or an LSXCommand bar if you're in litestep), type 'sc' and hit return and the program will run :)

I do this with pretty much all my commonly-used apps.. That way I can have "sndedit" launch my sound-editor program easilly, and if I change sound editors it's an easy system-wide update - for example, I used to use CoolEdit. Then I found a version of SoundForge that works way better for me, so I turfed CoolEdit and replaced its WINNT shortcut with one pointing to SoundForge.

Using the methods outlined by other people in this thread, you would have to manually go through your config files and change any reference to that program's path to the new program path.

Using my method, all the config files simply point to a file named "sc" so they just launch whatever that shortcut points to, so to change the app you just change what the shortcut points to.

Also, this way you only have to type "sc" instead of "!sc".

If you want to avoid cluttering up your WINNT dir any more than it already is, you can create a sub-directory and call it something like "shortcuts" or "links". I use "link" so I'll use that as the example. Create the folder named "link". Use that directory to store any shortcuts you want for apps. Open your System control panel and on the Advanced tab, click "Environment Variables". In the EnvVars window there should be an entry for "Path=" with a bunch of paths in it. (eg, "Path=C:;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32").. Add ";C:\WinNT\Link" to the list. (the semicolon separates paths).

One other thought... If you just have a couple apps that you want to make very easilly accessible, you can go into your \litestep\profiles\(yourName)\personal\hotkey.rc file and add a hotkey to launch the app.

*Hotkey Win N "C:\program files\Nero\nero.exe"
(this launches nero when I hit Win-N)

... or, if you're using this in conjuction with the windows shortcuts method I outlined...
*Hotkey Win N "cdburner"
("cdburner" is a shortcut in my WINNT dir, pointing to the Nero executable)

If you're going to start playing with Hotkeys, a quick tip is to stick to the Windows key. Almost every program out there uses Ctrl-key commands and Alt-key commands so best not to use those (if you assing Ctrl-S to, say, !Shutdown, whenever you try to save a file using Ctrl-S it'll try to shut the machine down instead). Also, the combination Ctrl+Shift is one to stay away from as there a a bunch of programs that use Ctrl+Shift commands.

I've never found any application that uses the Windows key as a modifier key so any Win or Win+Shift assignments should be kosher :)

Posted by member 1 on 2003-12-15 20:29:48 link

Putting things in your Windows and System directories really isn't a good idea.

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-12-15 21:45:45 link

most appz stores the path to the exe in the registry.
Then, you don't have to define anything. You don't have to create shorcuts and so one...
Just type "nero" "photoshop", etc...

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-12-15 21:51:20 link

if you download x-setup, you can also store files in the registry this way - for example, if you added counterstrike to the list, you could make it so that anywhere in windows, all you would have to type is cstrike to open it

Posted by member 1 on 2003-12-15 22:08:34 link

cstrike $cs$ whats the difference really?

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-12-16 14:20:32 link

or, instead of a bang OR an evar, you could just use the actual path. that way you don't have to have a shortcut (code) reference mzscript (more code) which resolves to the the path of the program and then starts it. it just goes to the path and starts it. it's not as "pretty", but who cares? it's your theme.