Does popup2 need ths feature? Thread last updated on 2003-12-12 23:24:21

Posted by member 7991 on 2003-12-04 08:33:34

I believe this is a common request, and I am surprised it has not yet been dealt with.

Posted by member 12025 on 2003-12-04 08:44:34 link

Yes...or a greater delay before showing a new menu, or a V-shaped buffer zone for the current menu.

Posted by member 35 on 2003-12-04 09:44:02 link

it's not if it should include that feature or not, but WHO is going to add it.

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-12-04 12:17:10 link

I don't think so (I couldn't see any use for it). however, I COULD see a use for the opposite: a feature that requires a click to OPEN to submenu, preferably only on specified submenu's.

Posted by member 7991 on 2003-12-04 13:05:20 link

The reasoning for such a feature is so that submenu's don't have to be opened, and then reopend, and then reopened again, due to non-horizantal movement of the mouse to the submenu (from the parent). A linear horizantal movement of the hand is not ergonomic at all, as usually the elbow, or base of the palm, is anchored on the desk surface. Thus the most natural path of movement is an arc. In order to make a perfectly horizantal movement, one must lift their anchor (elbow/palm), and use the shoulder ASWELL as the elbow. Try it and you will see what I mean. With all the talk about where the 5 easiest/fastest places are to move the mouse pointer to, you would think that this proposal would be a natural extension of this theory. Keep in mind, I do understand that it is possible to make a perfectly horizantal movement with almost just the wrist, but only short distances.

Secondly, there already is a feature that causes popup2 to wait for a mouse click before opening a submenu. However, this option still lets popup close the submenu as soon as the mouse hovers over a seperate item in the parent.

I would prefer that my popup does not open or close any submenus without a mouse click.

Finally, remember that it was once believed that there would be no need for the average person to have a 'personal' computer; give people the ability to do something new, and they will find a practical use for it.

I suppose the problem is finding someone to implement this feature. However, from my rudimentary understanding of programming, I wouldn't imagine it is too diffcult/time consumming to add something along the lines of:

if (waitForClick == false && subMenuItemHovered == true)
{
subMenu.close();
}
else if (waitForClick == true && subMenuItemClicked == true)
{
subMenu.close();
}

Sorry for the excessively long post.

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-12-04 15:12:49 link

It is annoying that it's easy to tigger a popup while attempting to travel your mouse to another popup. But the option to have to click to close the popup may become a chore if a mouseover is still used to open the popup in the first place. A click to open and click to close would be a great option. It would still seem like a chore but some themes would almost require it since the horizontal space between popup items is so small.

Having the popup appear at the location of the mouse would also be a good option since you wouldn't have to travel the mouse along a thin horizontal path to get to it.

Another option might be to have only the area around the menu arrow activate the popup with a mouse over. It's a smaller area to aim for but creates a dicipline of always having the mouse beside where the popup will appear. Of course you could train yourself to do this without forcing it through popup anyway.

Posted by member 7991 on 2003-12-04 15:57:01 link

DrWorm: Yeah, I didn't really think of that possibility (hover to open, click to close). I think I now understand deuce's statement regarding the usefulness of such an option. The intention was to use the option in conjunction with "ClickToOpen". Also, the suggesting regarding the menu arrow would be a somewhat acceptable alternative, although not ideal. However, that still would be a good feature to add as well as the click to open (not meant to be used together). Having a variety of options for opening and closing the submenus could only be beneficial.

Posted by member 99 on 2003-12-04 19:14:47 link

I can move the mouse almost straight for at least 1600 pixels without lifting my "anchor point", by using my wrist and fingers.

Still, it's a lot nicer to not have to think about it.

but I have a hard time believing that anything about popup2 is simple...

Posted by member 28818 on 2003-12-04 23:09:18 link

Good idea but i found that by setting the overlap to cover about 80% of the parent window it pretty much takes care of the problem.

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-12-09 17:37:13 link

A problem with overlapping is that you will likely cover entries in the parent-popup that you may want to see.

Posted by member 92831 on 2003-12-12 16:43:38 link

Hey thanks for everyone who has donated to the site. It has been a big help to us newbies or at least this one. I am haveing a proplem finding modules and downloading the pop2. Can anyone tell me how to do it properly?? phantompain123@yahoo.com

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-12-12 23:24:21 link

You can download modules here and here. And read up on the NetLoadModule feature of LS to see how to automatically download and load modules.