popup submenu selection Thread last updated on 2003-12-04 16:17:53

Posted by member 66869 on 2003-12-03 18:08:47

I don't see how this couldn't have been noted by anyone else before, but my search efforts haven't given any really close results...

This is for the popup module:

Modern operating systems have a slightly more user-friendly way to operate submenus in drop-down or pop-up menus than Litestep, something that most of us must be used to by now.

In Litestep, the cursor must stay strictly on the submenu item when attempting to move to that respective sub menu. This is rather difficult for me. - It's natural for me to tend to kind of get to the menu in a more diaganal movement.

MacOS I believe has a specific (somewhat diaganal) linear path that the cursor can follow andor not go past when moving to a submenu before an item below or above the selection on the parent menu will be selected.

Windows seems to have a delay on submenu folders. If a submenu is popped up, and the mouse moves away from the selection, it waits a bit before closing that popped up submenu.

It seems that most of you likely knew of this, but for me this is quite an annoyance when using the popup module. It's frustrating to have to reselect something 2 or 3 times just to get to the submenu. I could use click-to-open instead, but this is the request forum afterall =]

I apologize if this is a popularly requested feature... I don't see how it couldn't be. But I would just like to stress how I'd -love- to see something to help me out implemented! =]

Thanks.

Posted by member 7991 on 2003-12-03 18:56:30 link

I've requested a similar feature before, and most likely will do it again until it is implemented.................

Posted by member 35 on 2003-12-03 19:14:53 link

PopupMenuDelay NUMBER (in ms)

it's in the manual.

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-12-03 19:48:32 link

i dont think thats what hes talking about... i think hes referring to a setting thats basically the opposite - how long it will wait until the open menu closes when you highlight another item... while popupmenudelay specifies how long it waits before it is displayed, moving the mouse to another popup item closes the open menu, waits the popupmenudelay, then opens the next menu, and it would be easier to navigate to items if you could make it wait the popupmenudelay, close the open menu, the open the new menu.

Posted by member 66869 on 2003-12-03 20:31:26 link

Thank you doy. Yes, doy hit the nail on the head... that's what I meant. I need it to be easier to move the cursor over to a submenu - I'd like a method around having to travel STRICTLY on the selected item's boundaries. I'm not very good at this, especially at 1600x1200.

I hope there isn't also a setting for exactly this.. I'll feel like a jackass. I'll give it a look.

Posted by member 7 on 2003-12-04 12:22:37 link

This has been requested many times before, but no one has volunteered to implement it. Do you?

Posted by member 99 on 2003-12-04 12:58:44 link

fwiw, menu-0.8 uses Windows' native menus, so it does have this delay.

Posted by member 7991 on 2003-12-04 13:04:37 link

RabidCow: Really? I'm assuming no custom images, am I correct?

This thread inspired me to make a poll in the Modules section. Please complete it if you have an opinion.

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-12-04 16:17:53 link

correct, the current release of menu at least does not support skinning. it just looks like the plain, grey windows menus.