LITESTEP ERROR: Variable "AdminToolsDir" not defined Thread last updated on 2003-11-29 23:35:45

Posted by member 85975 on 2003-11-21 20:29:21

yes, i recieve this error whenever i attempt to change from the default theme austerity to nonstep. im fairly new to this program and i have no idea how to fix this error. then after this error pops up litestep gives me the option to revert back to the original theme. although when i choose to revert back to the default theme, it craches and i am left with no choice but to reboot. however, when i choose not to revert back to the theme austerity and proceed to the theme nonstep, all the things in my quickmenu are gone. if any one has any idea how to fix this, please respond. thanks.

-dweL

Posted by member 1 on 2003-11-21 21:46:09 link

$AdminToolsDir$ is no longer a valid eVar I think. If you don't get this error from Austerity you will need to look through the config files for nonstep and replace $AdminToolsDir$ with $CommonAdminToolsDir$ and you should be ok.

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-11-21 23:26:44 link

easier still, put a line in your personal.rc like
AdminToolsDir "$CommonAdminToolsDir$"

Posted by member 85975 on 2003-11-22 00:04:15 link

how would i go about doing that?? i right-click > litestep > edit config > personal files > personal.rc. but when i click it, nothing appears to pop up. someone please help. thank you all very much.

Posted by member 182 on 2003-11-22 01:52:25 link

if nothing appears to pop up, the evar for your text editor might be a bit out of wack.

bring up an explorer view, browse to your litestep\personal dir, and check the entries in evar.rc don't have double quotes around them.

it should just open in notepad anyhow..

Posted by member 85975 on 2003-11-22 03:10:49 link

i entered the folder which contained the file evars litesetup.config file yet this is all that showed up.

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Edit *only* the paths as needed, and leave the file's *FORMAT* unchanged

FileManager "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe"
TxtEditor "%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE"
CmdPrompt "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe"
AudioPlayer "C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\RealPlay.exe"
MediaPlayer "C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\RealPlay.exe"
GfxViewer "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd\PHOTOED.EXE"
GfxEditor "..."
Browser "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
DUN "rasphone.exe"
Email "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE"
IRC "C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe"
FTP "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
IM "C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe"

; Add and define any additional evars you require

;MiscApp "c:\program files\misc\app.exe"

im unsure if this is the evars that you are talking about but that is all that i could find that related what you had told me to check out. thank you for you guys support again.

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-22 09:02:24 link

I hate this. o_O

Your TxtEditor evar appears to be fine, I don't know why personal.rc isn't opening in notepad. :|

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-11-22 19:38:27 link

when i installed litestep on winxp, .rc files wouldnt open in notepad either... i had to manually set it

i think it might have something to do with the placement of the quotes, but i have no real reason for thinking that, since i didnt really mess around with it(:

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-22 20:22:23 link

i bet setting the evar like so:
TxtEditor "NOTEPAD.EXE"

would solve the problem, but i don't see anything wrong with the path specified in dweL's evars.rc above. :|

Posted by member 85975 on 2003-11-23 14:54:13 link

i dont know wtf =\. this sucks and its starting to frustrate me haha. would it be better if i just uninstall everything in general?? just a thought. thanks for your guys' help i really do appreciate it, being that im a noob to this. thanks.

Posted by member 1949 on 2003-11-23 19:17:21 link

My stuff did the same so I had to do it like this...

!Execute ["$TxtEditor$" "$ThemeDir$theme.rc"]

Im no expert here, but it works!

Posted by member 99 on 2003-11-23 21:49:57 link

dweL: Open your personal.rc up with notepad and add the line that doy listed up there. Save and recycle and the error should go away. (I assume you can find personal.rc, it should be in the same dir as evars.rc) Where you put it in the file isn't very important, as long as it's on its own line and not surrounded by an if...endif.

The rest of this stuff is mostly tangential to your question.

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-24 09:50:09 link

dweL: psynapse's comment about evars threw me off track. ;) Opening your personal.rc file from the popup isn't related to the $TxtEditor$ evar, hasn't been for a while, though I'm not sure when I made that change. I think you may be experiencing a problem with your file associations.

doy, the same applies to you as well.

Please ensure that you've both used the latest release of the LiteStep Installer. Once you've done that, please try accessing the personal files again. You can try launching them from the popup, and double-clicking on them in your file manager, let me know how it goes.

If it's still not working, then please dig through your registry for these values:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt
(Default) = AAA

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AAA\shell\open\command
(Default) = BBB

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rc
(Default) = CCC
old_value = DDD

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LiteStep.rc\shell\open\command
(Default) = EEE

replace all the variables (AAA, BBB, etc.) with what you find and post your results. (Note that the second registry key depends on what you find for the first.)

Posted by member 85975 on 2003-11-24 19:15:26 link

well i did what rabid cow suggested but the problem still persists. also i am comfused as to where to find these registry files. if you coulf give me a gerneral folder name it would help. im sorry for the inconvenience, im just too new to this. thanks.

Posted by member 37 on 2003-11-24 20:10:06 link

dweL
DON'T go messing in your registry.

Fom some it's OK to do that ...
but from the sounds of it (being a self professed noob (nothing wrong with that)) The registry is probably not a place you want to fool with.

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-11-24 23:18:24 link

i was actually talking about launching .rc files from explorer... but i manually set the file associations for it when it wouldnt work, so im not sure what the original reg keys were

Posted by member 81301 on 2003-11-25 08:35:27 link

you can change file associations through explorer if you've still got it hanging around there... That's probably easier and safer thatn trying to do it in the registry

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-25 11:33:58 link

i never suggested editing the registry, just running regedit and reading the keys can't harm anything. ;)

doy: it doesn't matter whether you launch the .rc files via double-clicking in explorer or via the popup, it's the same thing. if one doesn't work, neither will the other, and vice versa. :P

Posted by member 85975 on 2003-11-26 11:40:22 link

well ive already changed the file association. though to no avail. im still open to suggestions. thanks all.

Posted by member 182 on 2003-11-26 18:29:02 link

if you've changed the file association, it should work.
all i did to get .rc files opening in notepad by default was:

- hold shift and right click a .rc file.

- from the menu which appears pick "open with", then "choose program'.

- select notepad, and make sure you have the "always use the selected program.." checkbox ticked.

- click ok.

Posted by member 85975 on 2003-11-29 23:35:45 link

wow thank you all that have helped me in solving my problem. i honestly appreciate it =D.