Multi users on XP using the latest installer Thread last updated on 2003-11-17 13:51:30

Posted by member 83873 on 2003-11-16 14:04:16

I have spent the past few days reading docs and scanning the forums and believe I am ready to switch to LS this evening. I only had one question left unanswered. Does the installer have the option to have LS run on a single user account so that I could only have one user that loads LS, or will I need to go play with regedit?

Thanks in advance to anyone with help.

Posted by member 182 on 2003-11-16 18:33:18 link

yep, it has the option to save the personal directory in the \Documents and Settings\%username% directory, under litestep, or under litestep\%username%

i think the first option is the best for a multi-user setup

Posted by member 35 on 2003-11-16 20:00:01 link

but i think that what he is asking is to have ls on one account and explorer on the rest. Itcan be easily done,but i dont remember how,search theforums, it's been answered before.

Posted by member 39367 on 2003-11-16 20:37:15 link

Im pretty sure when you install that it asks you if you want to do a single user or multiple user installation so it should be really easy to do.

Posted by member 11768 on 2003-11-17 02:02:53 link

Well, I have been running litestep for quite sometime and I always log in to my default name. For kicks, I enabled the guest account (which to this point has been unaltered) and logged in to it. Lo and behold, I logged on and there was explorer. It was as if Litestep weren't even in existence. I also run dvorak (an alternate keyboard layout) and the guest account knew nothing of that either. So, in my experience, it was fine to have different accounts on the same computer, one running litestep and the other explorer. I even did the fast user switching and it worked fine.

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-11-17 13:51:30 link

ok, here's the real skinny (no offense guys). when you install litestep, it only sets the shell to litestep for the user that's CURRENTLY LOGGED ON (that is, if you choose to have the installer set it to litestep for you, which is the default option). if you need to set the shell back to explorer for that user, or the shell to litestep for another user, Omar (in his infinite wisdom) included a handy dandy little app call setshell. it basically sets the shell (hence the name) for the currently loggen on user account.