Need a good taskbar module Thread last updated on 2003-11-16 18:46:18

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-14 03:12:32

Greets. i'm looking for a taskbar module that will do the following:

- allow me to have a taskbar that holds 4 items *VERTICALLY* (taskbar3 only allows horizontal)
- have all 4 items be icons only, no box around them, no text, nothin.. just as though they were systray icons (though not in the systray)
- allow scrolling using bang commands.
- support hooking into a box or being loaded as a box *WharfModule

Cheers!

Posted by member 333 on 2003-11-14 04:32:44 link

tasks.dll + (mzscript.dll + skinbox/shortcut2) (for the scrolling)?

Posted by member 45783 on 2003-11-14 05:47:57 link

If I recall correctly, taskbar3 has a TaskbarLines -option. Type 4 in there.

Posted by member 12798 on 2003-11-14 06:46:53 link

the default theme of omar's installer ("austerity"?) comes with taskbar3, and it has two vertical lines.

Posted by member 37809 on 2003-11-14 07:30:17 link

This sounds like something Smurth would have done :)

Some ingredients to a hypothetical solution:
http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=4&action=view&catId=7&id=1184 http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=4&action=view&catId=2&id=2268 http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=2&action=details&id=343

If you choose to use TaskbarLines 4, that would have taskbar3 wrap after 4, making scrolling horizontally an interesting idea maybe?

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-14 15:19:15 link

Ok the TaskbarLines option seems like an optimal solution, thanks tons.. Seems like something that should be included in the Taskbar3 documentation.. ;)

So I've tried implementing that with the following results:

with...
TaskbarMaxButtonCount 1
TaskbarLines 4
... the taskbar displays only 1 icon and 3 blank lines below it.

with...
TaskbarMaxButtonCount 4
TaskbarLines 4
... the taskbar displays 4 icons vertically, each of which is 4x4 pixels in size and barely visible.

with...
TaskbarMaxButtonCount 2
TaskbarLines 4
... the taskbar displays 2 icons vertically, each of which is 8x8 pixels in size, and 2 blank lines underneath.

Any clues as to how to have a taskbar that is 1x4 icons in size, and all the icons display at 16x16 pixels?

Posted by member 37809 on 2003-11-14 21:34:49 link

Yes, the docs aren't updated. Taskbar3's settings' names tend to change from version to version too. See the docs for v0.303 and you'll see stuff which isn't documented in the later versions.

Doesn't using TaskbarMaxButtonCount make taskbar3 stop accounting for tasks after it hits this value?..making scrolling not doable.

For all I know, you have to autosize taskbar3, if you want to maintain a consistent task button size when doing vertical tasks yourself. I posted some guesswork code on the second of the above forum links that does this--one column of same-sized task buttons. It intends to autosize taskbar3 proportionately to the number of tasks, and set the number of lines (!TaskbarLines) to the number of tasks. The third link above is to Smurth's theme, which by judging from the screenshot, already does the same.

Of course this means you have to have taskbar3 boxed somehow to create the illusion of blank areas where task buttons otherwise displace. So the lsbox (or possibly SkinBox [I haven't used it before]) would be big enough to cover the four icons.

My thoughts for this involves that you autosize the tasks, and whenever there's more than four tasks, then you allow buttons or whatever for scrolling (first link above). How that scrolling systray code works is beyond me; I never thought you could go 'out of the box' without modules 'wrapping', since that is the case whenever I tried doing so (but that was rare and short-lived experimentation).

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-15 01:12:42 link

Well Taskbar3 has commands to allow scrolling, TaskbarShowPart prev/next it works just like VTray's scrolling, but without the option to set a step value.

MaxButtonCount doesn't disable scrolling, i can have 4 icons display properly horizontally and if there is >4 tasks running I can use LsBox shortcut buttons to call the !TaskbarShowPart bangs and scroll perfectly.

It just doesn't display >1 icon fullsized vertically using TaskbarLines.

I'll have a look at those links..

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-15 01:21:01 link

Well I've had a look at the links and I've decided this is yet another case where it's easier to change the specifications to meet the program than vice versa ;) I'm just gonna bend over and use a horizontal taskbar. Meh.

Posted by member 39 on 2003-11-16 17:21:29 link

lol

Posted by member 182 on 2003-11-16 18:46:18 link

.. I've decided this is yet another case where it's easier to change the specifications to meet the program than vice versa ;)

inhaler, welcome to theming for litestep! :P