Average network traffic? Thread last updated on 2003-11-14 05:45:35

Posted by member 53680 on 2003-11-12 08:08:18

Hi!

I currently use rainmeter to display my network traffic but it only shows the traffic in one instant moment. So it's really jumpy. Say you have 50kB/s out it will jump between 15 and 75. Is there away or anther module to show the average traffic? Like it's shown in perfmon.exe for example.

Posted by member 45783 on 2003-11-12 10:05:53 link

This is probably just how Rainmeter calculates the traffic. If I understood correctly, it can only count network frames or TCP packets, so that if you are downloading something, the value may be quantized by as big numbers as 1500 bytes or so.

If you wish it to be less jumpy, you could always increase the update interval and divide by a larger number though (by default, Rainmeter updates every second and divides by an amount you specify, making the values fit the frame you wish).

Posted by member 1 on 2003-11-12 10:07:47 link

You could always switch to the Histogram view.

Posted by member 53680 on 2003-11-12 14:16:12 link

Warma> I must admit that I don't quite follow. What I see when I use it is that if I'm for example uploading a file at 70kB/s rainmeter (as string) will output between 15kB/s and 70kB/s. I assume that this is due to that it prints the traffic at that exact given moment. But what I want is a more even output or an average upload over a section of time.

Maybe we mean the same thing. But I don't really understand how to get that? If I increase the update value I will only get the traffic at that given moment, so what should I divide it with?

Devilboi> I have a histogram but I want is a string below :)

Posted by member 53680 on 2003-11-12 15:55:40 link

On the other hand it doesn't seem to matter. I tried using the perfmon "Bytes sent/sec" plugin and when perfmon.exe shows 95kB Rainmeter shows 75kB. So it seems it doesn't work to well at all =/

Posted by member 45783 on 2003-11-14 05:45:35 link

In my experience Rainmeter is quite accurate and I indeed am talking about the same thing you are. However, let me explain again.

From the manual:

"Update
The update time for the meters. The value should be given in milliseconds. The default value is 1000 (i.e. one second)."

Increase that, or increase the updatedivider of your measure, if you want to keep your other measures updating as fast as before.

And string measures have this option:

"Scale
Scaling factor for the measured value. The measured value is divided with the scale value, so in order to get 1000 times smaller values just set the scale to 1000. If the scale value has a decimal point (e.g. 1000.0) the resulting measured value is displayed as floating point value with one decimal."

You use the scale in any case if you want to see kb while it reports bytes (in this case you divide with 1024, see?). If you halved the update frenquency, you could now divide by twice the value instead (2048?) and get a slower-updating but steadier scale.

Read the manual through and you understand what you have to do.