VWMStartWindowsOnDesktop Thread last updated on 2004-08-28 02:58:01

Posted by member 53374 on 2003-11-10 16:55:28

Today I tried my 3rd time to understand how to successfully work the VWMStartWindowsOnDestop function (using RabidVWM this time), yet to no avail. I spent most of the day (9hours) rebuilding my entire ls setup from the ground up using the 0.24.7 build so I could understand what I was doing wrong. Never figured it out. I think I understand that it has something to do with Labels or somehow Labeling the PATH to the particular program.

[An example of what I thought made sense]

[*VWMStartWindowsOnDesktop "D:\Adobe\LiveMotion 2.0\livemotion.exe" 3]

(Basically: Start on startup - program w/path - location)

Somehow the actual path is defined elsewhere but, I can't for the life of me figure out where. If anybody's willing to lend some code/advice here, I'd really appreciate it.

- Lensman

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-11-10 17:05:24 link

You can't use the path of an application (D:\Adobe\LiveMotion 2.0\livemotion.exe) as an identifier for the application. If you check the doc for RabidVWM you'll see it requires the window title (#t) or class (#c). The literunner module can be used to identify the title and class for livemotion.

Posted by member 12798 on 2003-11-10 17:55:55 link

there's also a hint in the docs how to get title or class via bang:
use !VWMExec !alert "^@wc^" for the class of the active window and !VWMExec !alert "^@wt^" for the title.
just put that into a hotkey, like:
*Hotkey CTRL+ALT X !VWMExec !alert "^@wc^"

setting up a working *VWMStartWindowsOnDesktop entry is a bit tricky, but you should be able to figure it out. i have this to start all miranda message windows on desk 4:
*VWMStartWindowsOnDesktop #t *Message*Session 4 1

note that you can't use quotes on it (i'm not sure about that... didn't work for me), but you can use * to replace spaces.

Posted by member 182 on 2003-11-10 18:45:17 link

9 times out of 10, i've found the window title (text shown in the titlebar) is enough for the vwm to work with.

Posted by member 5575 on 2004-08-28 02:58:01 link

I was having a heck of a time getting Thunderbird to start on the preferred desktop. I finally realized that just when it starts up, the window caption is "Mail & Newsgroups", and then in less than a second it changes to your inbox title + "- Mozilla Thunderbird". I couldn't use MozillaWindowClass because that nabs Firefox, too, and that goes on another desktop.