AmigaHLE development path Thread last updated on 2003-02-18 07:36:41

Posted by member 1286 on 2003-02-17 04:34:49

I'm currently not sure where to take AmigaHLE from here. I've been thinking about updating the skin format to use real alpha but that would require me to use layercuts which would make the theme 2000/XP only.
I also have two new skins in the works, one with UserFriendly stars Matt and Dust Puppy, and one with a sort of 'aquafied' look based on the default skin. None of them are ready yet, just playing around with some new ideas.
Let me know what you think. Without user feedback, this theme would still be just a mockup screenshot.

Posted by member 7 on 2003-02-17 04:43:24 link

you could possibly work around that 2K/XP only restriction by using IF statements...

Posted by member 1286 on 2003-02-17 07:32:22 link

ilmcuts: Already thought of it, and dismissed that idea. That would mean no benefits: Skins must then still be made specifically for 9x users, since 9x won't support real alpha transparency. That means also conditionally loading rc files for 9x and 2k... additional work. As the purpose of replacing shortcut2.dll with layercuts is to cut down on the time it takes to make a skin by not having to make buttons for each skin, all benefits of layercuts integration would be lost and even reversed if I used a conditional loadmodule statement. So it's either a XP/2K only theme, or I'll continue making skins the old tedious way.

Posted by member 367 on 2003-02-18 01:59:57 link

How about including options for label.dll? You have a memory thing going on by default, but how about making a menu (much in the same way you do for the visual stuff) where a person could have their CPU temps, hard drive space, etc. as the things being measured? The users might have to do some .rc editing to match the stuff to their computers but then they could pick out the menu option and have it show up.

Just something to think about... :-)

Posted by member 1286 on 2003-02-18 02:22:20 link

Hawkfan: Now THAT is a great idea. I'll get right on it when I'm done converting mode7 to OTS.

Posted by member 44 on 2003-02-18 07:36:41 link

if you enjoy the alpha-transparency, then use it. skin for your own desktop, not as a public service :) if the results are good (i´m pretty sure they will), then share it.