I wanna make a theme :) Thread last updated on 2003-11-08 15:41:01

Posted by member 80819 on 2003-11-08 10:14:31

Where do i begin ?
I just want a bar on the botton centered whit hmm some functions ..
and i wanna make the imaging by meself :)

Posted by member 1885 on 2003-11-08 10:55:05 link

the best way to get started with themeing is to dissect existing themes and try to figure out how they work... track down a theme with roughly the same functions/layout as you want and take a peek under the hood.

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-08 11:43:01 link

I disagree. Taking a peek under the hood is the easiest way to get started, but definitely not the best way.

There are hundreds of themes out there and dozens of theme-designers, all with different organizational styles. By dissecting and modifying someone else's theme you take on their organizational structure and you also have a good chance that the theme you start with is using an obsolete themeing protocol, and thus won't install properly using the new litestep. Also some modules have odd commands that you can't figure out just by the name of the command, so you may try to modify one thing on the bar and spend 3 hours figuring out what config file has what command you need to change because the thing you need to change may not be very obvious.

If you just want to make this one theme and never go any further than that, you can skip the rest of my posting, but if you want to start themeing seriously, the best way is to start from the bottom and work your way up. That will leave you with a more thorough understanding of how litestep and the modules work together, your theme won't have any extraneous or doubled commands, and if you want to modify something 2 months down the road you'll know where to look to change it. Also, by reading the documentation for the modules you consider using for your theme, you'll find a lot of nifty features you may never have thought of so you'll end up with a more useful, interesting theme, that is tailored to what YOU want.

Check out http://lsdocs.shellfront.org for a bunch of really useful info. For someone getting into theme creation, the useful parts on this to make sure to read are the "theme creation" section, the "litestep" section, and the individual module sections.

I know it may seem daunting at first to have all this reading material, but I just got into theming a month or two ago and trust me - you'll save a ton of time by reading the docs instead of just fiddling ;) And for the most part, modules come with text-file documentation so you can easilly just copy the section describing what all the commands do and paste it into a config file, then comb through it and change the associated values.. Piece o' cake :)

Now, in order to make theme manipulation easier for end-users and any theme designers who want to modify your theme, there hs been a protocol introduced called the Open Theme Standard, or OTS. At first glance it seems like it makes your theme more complicated to design but in fact it simplifies it. Some good info about OTS can be reached through http://ohussain.cjb.net.

For a complete list of modules, see http://www.shellfront.org/modules-list.php ... unfortunately it doesn't describe what the modules do, just lists them for download. Luckily almost all of the modules have comprehensive documentation and the first paragraph typically states what the module does, so you can just download and unzip the module and check the documentation to see if it does what you need done :)

For what you've described I'd recommend looking at lsBox for the bar anchor (the bounding box that holds all the bar functions). Can't really go any further in advising on specific modules as I don't know what you want to have in the bar.

Anyway, hope this helps! I assume if you've read this far that you are in fact interested in starting to actually create themes instead of just modify someone else's, so welcome to the themeing community! :D

Posted by member 1885 on 2003-11-08 11:54:52 link

I didn't say you shouldn't read the docs and just fiddle, I just meant that it's good to check out how other people go about creating themes (while keeping the documentation handy). The best way of learning is by doing, and you can't come up with your own organizational structure just like that IMHO.

Posted by member 80819 on 2003-11-08 12:41:01 link

Thanks guys ! :P

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-08 15:41:01 link

Deal, np ;)

West, good point but I think given the guidelines on the OTS pages people can certainly build their own organizational structure and in doing so may find a structure that works better than any others out there, which may be adopted by everyone and lead to a greater evolution of litestep :)

Though it's more likely that it'll just lead to a lot of spaghetti and headache for anyone trying to mod themes ;)

Perhaps if there was a basic template, not built up nearly as much as austerity is.. Just a folder structure and the base files, theme.rc, theme.ini, readme.txt, themevars.rc and base.rc

In the theme.rc there could be a netloadmodule setup for popup2-2.0 and an include for config\popup.rc, as well as the standard theme evar defs.. Other than that it would be bare and up to the user to customize.

Is there something like that included in the LSTM? If so perhaps the theme template could be extracted from the LSTM and put into omar's installer for people who don't want to use the LSTM..