Wanna beta-test the new Slick? Thread last updated on 2003-11-08 11:46:57

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-05 21:51:37

UPDATE: Slick v2.0 has been officially released into the wild. It's available on the themes page... GO GET IT! :)

Lookin for people to test out the new Slick, v2.0...

Anyone who has spare time and is interested in checking out the next release ahead of everyone else ;)

Basically just looking for people to install it and let me know if everything works properly for them, and any complaints you might have about it :)

Slick v2.0c:
http://www.guerillamusic.net:4280/tmp/slick.v2.0c.lsz

Posted by member 12025 on 2003-11-05 22:18:37 link

1. Rename the folder, so that older Slicks won't be written over.
2. When I start up with Slick, everything is fine. When I change themes to it, things aren't. Nothing is there but the backgorund. New windows come up in the desktop, old ones cannot be accessed, and the bottom-right thing with the bars and such doesn't display. Maybe add a !vwmgather on start? It only seems to happen when most windows are on workspace 4.
3. Maybe make evrything stack so it can all be displayed at once? Or at least redisplay anything pinned (like the systray) when the other part (Winamp/VWM and tasks) is hidden.

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-06 00:44:19 link

I've changed the folder name to the theme's project-name, "pin.and.tumbler"

Strange problem with the windows disappearing. When you do this, try clicking on the clock and typing !VWMGather to see if it works for you.. If it does I can add it, commented-out, and tell people how to get to it in the docs. (I reckon most people don't want their windows gathered upon recycle)

There shouldn't be any workspace 4, in v2 there's only 3 workspaces.. (Maybe there's a conflicting setting in your personal.rc file?)

I had thought a long time about ways to implement the systray and canopy (vdesks/winamp) at once.. the only viable solution that occurred to me was to have the tray act like the quicklaunch but vertically, but the auto-hide hotspot for the canopy would make it kind awkward.

I really *really* like the idea of having it auto-display the other window if it's pinned though... ie, if the tray window is pinned and you mouse-over the canopy button, the tray is hidden (but stays pinned) and canopy window is shown, but when you mouse-out the canopy it hides and the tray window is shown again.. If both windows are pinned, whichever receives mouse-over will be the one to dominate and be shown ;)

I've implemented that feature as per your suggestion.
New theme zip is at:
http://www.guerillamusic.net:4280/tmp/slick.v2.0c.lsz

Thanks! :D Let me know anything else that comes up eh :)

Posted by member 39367 on 2003-11-06 07:23:39 link

Systray expands the wrong direction. Will post screenshot in profile later today. Also hot spots dont work like they used to, i guess this is a feature though :)

EDIT: Systray works, i just needed to recycle.

Posted by member 12025 on 2003-11-06 07:26:17 link

I'd click on the clock and type it, except that nothing is there. All I can do is use the popups defined for the desktop to switch themes or recycle. Very very odd. I'll see later today if I can recreate the situation and figure out what the problem actually is. There aren't four workspaces there, but I generally use 4 workspaces, and when not set otherwise, RabidVWM seems to like putting everything in the last one (bottom-right) by default. So when I'm not doing much, all goes there. Not having boxes display was the odd part of this.

On the pinning...yeah, but you can script around having both pinned. Will check out the update later, around 4 PM or so.

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-06 12:50:27 link

If anyone else has the problem Mr_Goat experienced with the systray let me know.. I've found it to be a little less than 100% solid myself... *almost* all the time it displays perfectly but about 2% of the time it displays wrong on a recycle..

Mr_Goat, how exactly do hotspots not work like they used to, apart from the new pinning behavior?

Cerbie: This uses ckVWM not rabid.. Don't know what difference that should make.

Also I've moved the first-run checking to the end of the init script, so the interface should display before the themevars prompt now :)

Posted by member 72897 on 2003-11-06 16:19:10 link

Wow, very...slick...lol

Everything works fine for me! I would like the theme even better if dif colors were an option...

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-06 19:34:12 link

If anyone wants to paint the images for the different color schemes I'd *GLADLY* do the configuration needed to implement it! Also I have no graphic design talent whatsoever so if anyone wants to design the icons for the quicklaunch bar they would be fully accredited and I'd be ever so greatful ;) If not I can stick with the ones I scooped from PD icon libraries..

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-06 19:38:39 link

Cerbie, I just wanna say again - thanks for the suggestion about the new pinning behavior, I'm lovin' it!

I'd say it enslicked the theme by at least 6% :)

Posted by member 39367 on 2003-11-06 20:16:26 link

I didnt know you changed pinning around, i think thats it. I think the systray needs less space and tasks need more. I always switch those around :)

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-06 20:55:09 link

tasks should only display the tasks pertinant to the desktop you're on.. Makes it sorta like they're separate head-spaces, not just desktops.. switch to "clear your head" so to speak ;)

Posted by member 39367 on 2003-11-06 22:14:40 link

I didnt know it did that. Slick. Lol that was so corny.

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-07 02:47:56 link

Hehe yeah.. Sometimes I just have to sit back and think to myself "Hot damn, this is slick."

So unless anyone else offers any further issues/suggestions by morning I'm gonna package it up for shipping and upload it to the themes section....

Posted by member 12025 on 2003-11-07 12:42:42 link

I thought I'd have some free time, but Life decided I wouldn't yesterday. So...
Upon extracting it, if all my windows are on desk 4 or greater, nothing displays, and when I switch themes I get LsBox errors for Slick's boxes.
If windows are in desks 1 to 3, it works fine even on the first run. If they are in 4 or greater and it is not the first time I run Slick, it works.
I'll check out the updated one in a few minutes (I'm on a different PC right now).
On the color schemes...change hue. I have no talent either (I probably could have some skill with image editing if I really cared, but eye candy doesn't impress me).

Posted by member 12025 on 2003-11-07 12:56:59 link

The updated version works fine even with things on other workspaces.

Posted by member 71746 on 2003-11-07 13:17:02 link

LOL that's just bizzarre, I haven't changed anything at all in relation to vdesktops... I think I will add a !VWMGather to the firstrun script though..
On the color schemes: it's not the lack of ability or skill, I know how to hue the images up and do all kinds of things to make them look nicer. My issue is that I have a color scheme that is pleasant to me and works perfectly for the esthetics of my personal system, so I have no interest or inclination to put out a bunch of effort for something I'll never use ;) If someone else wants a different color scheme to match their system they can hue it to their desired color.. If anyone wants the option to switch, I'll gladly implement a color-scheme menu.. But that's about as far as I'm gonna go for colors ;) There's also the fact that the color schemes I design might not even appeal to anyone, so not only would *I* not be benefiting from my labor, but no one *else* would either, and that's no good fo' no body..

Ok so I suppose I'll run one last batch of test installs on my VMachines and if all goes well you should see a final release version of Slick on the themes page by noon :)