litestep_installer-3.0 on Windows NT4 Thread last updated on 2003-11-23 19:40:00

Posted by member 11082 on 2003-11-03 18:34:31

I'm a longtime user of LS v 0.24.6 on Windows NT. Today, I performed a clean installation of WinNT (w/sp6) to try out the new v3.0 installer. Installation went smoothly, but as LS is loading after the reboot, I get these error messages.

LiteStep Tray Manager: litestep.exe Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetMonitorInfoA could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll

C:\LiteStep\modules\popup2-2.0.dll
Error: Could not locate module. Please check your configuration.

-and-

LiteStep Tray Manager: litestep.exe Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point MonitorFromPoint could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll

C:\LiteStep\modules\shortcut2-2.0.dll
Error: Could not locate module. Please check your configuration.

The default theme loads (austerity) without popup, shortcuts, most of the taskbar and some of the other desktop elements.

I tried another clean installation of Windows NT. This time, without installing any critical updates (only sp6). I also tried the LS 3.0.1 installer. The results were exactly the same :(

Here's a list of installed apps:
NT4 sp6a; IE6 sp1; Diskeeper Lite; RealPlayer8 Basic; Quicktime 6; Acrobat Reader 6.

If anyone have any ideas where I might've gone wrong, I sure would appreciate it.

Kevin

Posted by member 99 on 2003-11-03 20:26:11 link

These modules probably need to be fixed to use LSGetMonitorInfo and LSMonitorFromPoint in lsapi instead of the user32 versions, which apparently do not exist on nt4.

Posted by member 11082 on 2003-11-05 14:51:04 link

Bummer. I guess it's back to v 0.24.6 until we can afford to upgrade to W2K. Thanks for the tip.

Kevin

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-05 23:19:14 link

Bummer is right, this is the first I've heard of this. :(

matrice64 also runs NT4, but the only thing he mentioned to me was a display issue:
http://forums.loose-screws.com/viewtopic.php?p=7903#7903

He's been very busy though, so there's no new details on what the nature of his NT4-bug is.

Posted by member 99 on 2003-11-06 00:45:52 link

This should be pretty easy to fix, just a find-and-replace in theory. I could do it myself when I get over being too lazy to dl the source, but i am kinda busy...

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-06 10:17:30 link

I can appreciate that you're busy RabidCow, so is Simon for that matter, I don't know what state LS would be in if not for the two of you. :P

And the secret devs too I suppose, not sure what's going on there though. ;)

Posted by member 81740 on 2003-11-11 05:33:36 link

same errors here, on IBM intellistation running nt4sp6a
(with both *full* and *only o.s. with drivers* clean install/recovery tested)

this was first attempt to install LiteStep on this machine, installers 3.0 an 3.01 tested, to no success.

anyone has a link to (older) installer (installer, please :-) that would be tested and proven under winNt4sp6a ?

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-11-11 15:14:14 link

download these modules and load them in place of the ones that netloadmodule gives, and it should work, or you can wait until loose-screws or shellfront picks them up

Posted by member 81740 on 2003-11-11 15:30:16 link

... ooops - this looks dangerous ...
but I'll try it anyway

thanks

Posted by member 99 on 2003-11-11 17:30:33 link

This might be a little safer than manual replacement:
!NetUnloadModule popup2-2.0
!NetUninstallModule popup2-2.0
!NetInstallModule popup2-2.1.3 http://www.technoirotica.com/~rabidcow/module.pl/popup2-2.1.3.zip
!Recycle

When it asks to get popup2-2.0, right click on that name and choose "select file..." Then find the dll for popup2-2.1.3 and use that.

Then do the same thing for shortcut2-2.0.1

(note that there are 4 lines there, and they all start with a !)

Posted by member 81740 on 2003-11-11 21:08:38 link

done - did it manually, got it working (placed and renamed dll's), but whole thing crashes occasionally (litestep, that is - with memory dumps etc)

Litestep raises exception it can't find *ServerAdmin* when I hover on system/my computer, then crashes
don't have a slightest idea what's going on...

how about posting a link to the supposedly stable 0.24.6 installer if it exists somewhere? Downgrading seems much better option to me right now.

I have 3.01 installed now on my web-computer running win98lite, which is currently 100% more stable than the nt workstation ...

btw - with unmodified 3.0 and 3.01 installers, right-click menus and ctrl.alt.f1 combo didn't work at all with nt4. Had to win.e or ctrl.alt.del to navigate. If this helps ...
...I am a bit tired now.

Curiously enough, DX and VST pluggos work flawlessly under nt4. If someone was telling me that, I wouldn't belive it.

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-11-11 23:56:41 link

at this point, .24.7 is just as stable as .24.6, so there wouldnt really be anything to gain from downgrading. most of the problems you are encountering come from the fact that not many people use nt4 with litestep, so we havent been able to get as many bug reports on it, so support for it isnt as good.

as you can see, though, we are trying to fix as much as we know about, so the more problems you tell us about, the fewer you (and other nt4 users) should have(:

Posted by member 81740 on 2003-11-12 09:54:27 link

hey, thank you again for support you showed.

I managed to get new dll's working, I slapped together a sort of dll *updater* based on 'free extractor'.

but - there remains a problem - whenever I hover the system/my computer on the menu, I get message that litestep coudln't initialize 'ServerAdmin' and then crashes with core dump. (that is, it's gone, ctrl.alt.del is the only option to communicate with the box).

What should I do to remove the 'my computer' option from the menu? I can access those things via explorer as an alternative.

Hmm - otherwise, NT4 runs 3d apps, aist movie xtreme and audio apps like samplitude flawlessly, and, when behaved, eats something like ~35megs of ram, and if beaten to bare bones ~28 megs with desktop. It's closer to my vision of production system (and feel, too) than 2000, or XP. Also, therefore ...

Posted by member 1783 on 2003-11-12 10:01:47 link

open up your popup.rc in the personaldir and remove:
*Popup "my computer" !PopupMyComputer

Posted by member 81740 on 2003-11-12 12:29:11 link

Humans are weird...

Humanettes are even weirder.
but that's cool about them
(sorry, just had to ..:)

thanks, Egonz!
(not that I would be a lifetime user, but all worked right from installer on my other boxes, never really edited anything - no need to)

but, while I am at it, there's more:
a) NT box shows only *default user* programs menu in litestep menus - how can I add *Administrator* programs menu to Litestep from within Litestep? (the *dirty* workaround would be to transfer all links via explorer - cut/paste)

b) on my webby win98lite computer, Litestep crashes when I want to logoff/logon. Not that this would be harmful (in fact, it doesn't do anything harmful) - it is a nasty cosmetic issue, especially if someone else watches my desktop. Everything smooth with full/hot reboots. Any workaround or suggestions for this (from 3.01 installer)? (except to upgrade - I won't do this)

c) how can I remove desktop icons on my win98lite box? This option doesn't show on the menu?

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-11-12 22:11:35 link

c - hmmm... for some reason, omar has turning off desktop icons from the popup menu disabled on win9x... i have no idea why. try going to $themedir$\config\themevars.rc and changing DesktopIconsOn to false and !recycle... i dont know if that will work, since im not sure why omar would have disabled it, but you can try it.

otherwise, go into $themedir$theme.rc and put a semicolon in front of the line *NetLoadModule deskfolders-2.0-b4

Posted by member 81740 on 2003-11-13 07:40:57 link

!!!hurray!!!

themedirs edit works. I am looking at something closer to my vision of uncluttered desktop. (I cleaned and vacuumed dust, too)

whatabout the nasty logoff/logon crash?
is there a way to dial in some magic line in some config file to supress such indecent messages?

on the wishlist:
is there a standalone version of SetShell.exe available for download?

Posted by member 11082 on 2003-11-14 19:01:31 link

Wow... Lots of activity while I was out sick. You guys are awesome helping out us NT troglodytes! I'd love to be using a modern version of Windows, but the community library that I support cannot afford the upgrade (yet). I use LS on NT to secure our 15 public computers. It actually works quite well in its present state. But after seeing some cool OTS2 compliant themes, I just had to try the new installer package. I was able to finally get things working by swapping out the misbehaving modules, so... now all I need is a nice fat grant from some rich foundation. Heheh...
K

Posted by member 11082 on 2003-11-17 19:22:31 link

I just tried Omar's new installer (ver: 3.0.2) on NT. It worked perfectly right out of the box! Thank you.
K

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-22 07:44:32 link

You're welcome kevink. :)

And I just wanted to thank RabidCow for updating the affected modules so that they work without error on NT4. :)

Hooray for RabidCow! :D

Posted by member 99 on 2003-11-22 11:14:39 link

bah. like I said, it was pretty much a search-and-replace. (and not a lot of replace even)

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-22 20:16:13 link

Somebody had to do it. And since you were it you'll have to live with my gratitude. :P

Posted by member 81740 on 2003-11-23 19:40:00 link

yeez!

I won't upgrade, I won't upgrade ... :-)

or maybe I will - but my box feels good now.
thank you, rabidcow.