Theme load problem solved Thread last updated on 2003-11-04 10:09:07

Posted by member 1402 on 2003-11-02 03:43:02

I've been having a hell of a time getting various themes to load properly, if at all. I usually get the OTS major/minor version error. Well, I think I've found a solution.

It's fairly simple - Extract the non-loading theme to a temp directory, open the theme.rc and put the major and minor OTS version numbers in quotes. Then re-zip the theme archive, change the .zip extension to .lsz, doubleclick and yer good to go.

Works for me anyway...

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by member 1783 on 2003-11-02 05:58:35 link

yup, that's right..
so all the themers out there: USE THE QUOTES FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-02 06:43:23 link

UnRed Dave or Egonz, could you please post links to the themes that were giving you these errors?

I don't really see how quoting would help in this case. :P

Posted by member 1783 on 2003-11-02 10:51:56 link

ummm...omar, have a question: wasn't it a thing of theme installer that in some cases it needed the quotes? i think u said that it's was fixed, but could u enlighten me, maybe i'm just talkin mumbo-jumbo... ;)

Posted by member 1402 on 2003-11-02 12:15:56 link

Omar, Thin, Transparent, Longhorn Professional M4, HiTech are few of the themes that would not load without quotes.

It may have something to do with the fact I'm running Win2K. Or not. I don't know. I do know that the only themes that loaded for me without tweaking were Vodka Martini and PixOffice. All others failed to load.

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-03 10:42:27 link

No links to the themes? :| Guess I get to go look for them then... I hope at least the themes were all from ls.net.

Thin
http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=2&action=details&id=284

I edited theme.rc in the Thin archive and changed 'OTSMayorVersion' to 'OTSMajorVersion'. At this point the theme installed automatically without problems. The theme itself is broken though, several modules failed to download.

HiTech
http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=2&action=details&id=295

I edited theme.rc in the HiTech archive and changed 'OTSMayorVersion' to 'OTSMajorVersion'. At this point the theme installed automatically without problems. The theme itself is broken though, several modules failed to download.

LongHorn Pro M4
http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=2&action=details&id=296

I didn't have to make any changes to get this theme to install automatically, it installed automatically without problems. The theme itself is broken though, it fails to load the popup module properly.

I have never found any need to quote 'OTSMajorVersion' or 'OTSMinorVersion' and cannot imagine how this would ever be necessary. It doesn't look like any of the themes you mentioned need to have these evars quoted to work, they have other problems that need to be addressed though.

At this point I see no reason to try any other themes. (Actually there wasn't any point to begin with but I thought I would anyway. :P)

I have no idea where this quoting 'OTSMajorVersion' & 'OTSMinorVersion' 'solution' came from, there's no way it could help. ;)

Egonz: the theme installer does not require quotes anywhere, around anything. LiteStep itself requires that any evars that reference folders be quoted if the path to the folder contains a space. Since one can never know what the path to a folder might be on a target system, quoting all evars that reference folders is required by the OTS:
http://o-t-s.sourceforge.net/theme_creation.html#quotingevars

Posted by member 1783 on 2003-11-03 11:27:05 link

ok :) maybe i was having a bug of some sort going on... or sth. i did mess around with the build n stuff one day...
anyways, when it reoccurs, i'll be sure to notify u (hope i don't have to do that tho ;).

Posted by member 1402 on 2003-11-03 21:44:02 link

Thanks Omar.

Sorry about the lack of links, my bad.

S'funny, but it must just be my computer that's temperamental (even though it's a brand new install) because now when I try to load themes the installer seems to work (unless the theme's broken of course). I arrived at the "quoting solution" out of sheer frustration with not being able to install any themes. I just saw everything else in quotes a thought "what the hell...". But hey, I'm no coder so I'll definitely be leaving that to you from now on.

Thanks for your time and hard work.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by member 265 on 2003-11-04 10:09:07 link

all's well that ends well. ;)