weird rainmeter.ini problem Thread last updated on 2003-02-17 17:11:27

Posted by member 5669 on 2003-02-16 06:28:21

i updated to rainmeter .90 to use some of the new features and i realized there is a weird bug in it (at least i think it's a bug :| ).

basically, the WindowX setting will NOT change.

i change it to WindowX=1164 and it reverts back to WindowX=1171 (i have no clue why 1171) furthermore, it even does it if i kill the module or even kill the entire shell.

Posted by member 5669 on 2003-02-16 06:41:59 link

nevermind, i think i fixed it. it's really weird... i think it must be the new format rainy is using for the "skins". i had to first kill liltestep.exe, then delete the "CurrentConfigIni=Rainmeter.ini" line, then replace "WindowX=1171" with "WindowX=1165", then save the ini file, then restart LS.

seems to have fixed it.

let's hope so :|

Posted by member 5669 on 2003-02-16 07:03:48 link

ok ok, NOW i got it.

apparently, if you don't define "SnapEdges=0" , rainmeter will automatically hug the side of the monitor (even if it's not draggable? wtf?).

so for future reference: if your rainmeter config is close to the edge of the screen, but you don't want it butt up against the edge, make sure you define the SnapEdges value as "0" or else rainmeter will automagically move it over to the edge.

i can't believe i'm having a thread with myself. how far i've fallen. :|

Posted by member 186 on 2003-02-16 13:50:55 link

there he goes... talking to himself again.....

Posted by member 5669 on 2003-02-16 16:45:48 link

hehe, i'm just glad this forum is here to allow me to have such a conversation.

Posted by member 1031 on 2003-02-16 17:48:01 link

any tips on getting a .80-compatible ini to work with this new skin format? I'm having difficulties figuring out what to change to get it to not crash and die.

Posted by member 110 on 2003-02-16 21:23:22 link

Yeah and not only that but if you have "SavePosition" set to 1 it will update the ini file at each recycle so if it snaps to the wrong spot and you change the numbers in the ini file when you recycle it will update the ini file with the old values again

Posted by member 5669 on 2003-02-16 21:25:23 link

yea, you need to put a "skins" folder in your modulesdir, then put a folder in it with the title of the skin (i.e. "default").

then, in your "default" folder, put the skin ini file and the graphics. the skin ini file defines the meters (specifics) and the rainmeter.ini file (in the modulesdir) defines the basic settings such as windowX and windowY.

this is a different setup than the older formats because it separates the ini into two parts instead of shoving it into one big one (which makes it easier to set up multiple configs).

Posted by member 1031 on 2003-02-17 00:35:17 link

Aha! in the _modules_ folder. I was sticking it in the main theme folder. Thanks for clearing it up.

Hey, can it be configured to have the skins folder inside the configs folder instead? The modules folder is a bit of an odd place for such files...

Posted by member 110 on 2003-02-17 17:11:27 link

From the DOCS maybe people should read them first :)

Step.rc

RainmeterIniFile
This can be set to point to the Rainmeter.ini file if it is not placed in the default place (i.e. in the Rainmeter.dll's folder).

RainmeterSkinPath
This defines the path where the skins are. The skins must be in separate subfolders under the given folder.

RainmeterCurrentConfig
The name of current config. This can be used to force the use of some config. You must also define RainmeterCurrentConfigIni.

RainmeterCurrentConfigIni
The name of current config ini-file.