port to linux/*nix Thread last updated on 2003-10-29 04:33:59

Posted by member 68955 on 2003-10-28 15:24:31

Will or could the litestep project be ported to the linux (or *nix) system. I would enjoy using litestep along with my other Window Managers.

Thank you

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-10-28 15:55:09 link

does anyone else find it ironic that litestep was originally (in it's earliest incarnations) developed to give users the ability to have a linux-like experience on windows machines? and now a linux user is asking to have it ported over? :P

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-10-28 16:00:18 link

i dont use linux yet, but ive been thinking about switching over, and looking at the window managers available for linux, none seem to be as configurable as litestep

Posted by member 1 on 2003-10-29 00:40:27 link

I think its kinda annoying actually that threads get posted in the wrong categories...is it that hard to decide?

anyways...There was a project out there to convert LS over but it had some issues and was never continued. If you want something just as configurable the closest I have really come was with FVWM...and that wasn't close. The Linux desktop enviornments and window managers do all have their fine points...but none of them strive for what LS has. Sorry...

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-10-29 01:08:39 link

In fact, linux is different world than windows. Then, the "shell approach" is different too, because when you start to use x-windows, you already knows a lot about your system. There's some lack due to linux's world, but the approach is different. You can make different exciting things.

Hum, I guess you should take a look at WindowMaker and Enlightenment IMHO

Posted by member 7 on 2003-10-29 04:33:59 link

The Litestep core could most likely be ported, but the problem is that you'd need to port all modules as well. That'd be quite a difficult task since they often consist of little more than winapi calls (which are not directly portable and sometimes not portable at all as far as I am informed).