change directory structure for nlm downloaded module files?? Thread last updated on 2003-10-11 00:35:43

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-10-10 23:15:37

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it would be better if there would be one module folder (like there is now), with folders directly beneath that for each module, so that the module and it's readme would be kept together, easier to find (and, to me at least, more organized).

Any thoughts on the subject?

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-10-10 23:24:05 link

About .dll location, I have nothing to say: it's allright like it is (IMO)

But I think all the docs should be placed in the same folder. About modules coming with several .txt files: a readme, a changelog... I think all the stuff should be in the readme file to allow having only one help file per module.

About html files, stuff could be organized like this:
- modulename.html
- modulename.css (hidden)
- modulename-pic1.png (hidden)
- modulename-pic2.png (hidden)

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-10-10 23:27:42 link

i dont know... i think that keeping all the modules in one folder and all the docs in another keeps it pretty well organized, and it does automatically split up modules and docs into separate folders if they have more than one file... this as organized as i think it needs to be...

i dont see any real benefit in keeping the module and the readme in the same folder, since its not like you will ever go into that folder to run the module anyway, the only thing you would go there for is to read the docs

besides, its more work to find the docs when theyre all in separate folders, and harder to include module docs in things like popups that way

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-10-10 23:36:01 link

smurth: an even better solution than hiding files (lots of people including me show all hidden files anyway) would be to have one image directory at $modulesdir$docs\images or something and put all images that readmes need there... i agree that having more than one file in the docs can be annoying

although this would require modifying netloadmodule.dll and all the module docs that use multiple files, so i dont think it would work quite yet... hopefully the documentation standard devilboi and them are working on will fix this issue

Posted by member 7223 on 2003-10-10 23:58:06 link

I always show hidden files, too. But in popups, hidden files are hidden (which is a good thing in that case)

Posted by member 99 on 2003-10-11 00:35:43 link

If you just want docs and dlls in the same dir, edit your step.rc and set NetLoadModuleDocPath to
NetLoadModuleDocPath "$NetLoadModulePath$"

I could add an option to always install everything in subdirectories, then you could set the two paths the same and have modules and the corresponding docs in their own subdirs (I think exactly as deuce is asking for). I think the current method is a good default though, but then I haven't tried the alternative. :)

Anything that would require editing html is way too complicated imo. Anything that'd require editing all of the module docs in the zip files isn't going to happen unless someone wants to volunteer.