Modules, licensing, distribution, testing Thread last updated on 2003-10-01 16:35:02

Posted by member 56818 on 2003-09-30 17:16:23

Having just finished[1] my first module[2][3], some questions arise:

Licensing:
GNU GPL as i understand. Do i have to state in the source code? All the files? What? The standard piece that reads "This is part of the LiteStep Shell source code"? Not that it's really that important, the code is so insultingly simple in this case...

Distribution, Testing:
I want people to use it! =) What now?

[1] Finished like in having a working version..
[2] lspeakxp.dll - litespeak for Windows XP. Well, not litespeak. Just a !speak bang.
[3] And I am extremely happy.

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-09-30 18:44:34 link

oops

Posted by member 36955 on 2003-09-30 18:45:35 link

licensing: include a copy of the gnu gpl in the zip file, and make sure you also release the source somewhere

distribution: this site and loose-screws.com have file upload links, and you can email rootrider at shellfront.org to add it to his module and source archive if you dont have a server to host it. i would suggest sending it to loose-screws and shellfront even if you are hosting it elsewhere, since that is where most people get modules from.
you might also want to email the litestep mailing list about it... maybe post a news item to blizzle.com as well... there are all sorts of options(:

Posted by member 35 on 2003-09-30 19:25:36 link

and dont forget to submit it here too ;)

Posted by member 99 on 2003-10-01 02:20:19 link

The official word: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

You don't have to use GPL. Well, actually you probably do, but you don't have to only use GPL. As long as you're the sole author you can do a joint license thing if you really want. (hey, it's good to have options, right? :)

Hm, and be sure to actually comply with the distribution term, ie. include the source code, instructions on where to get the source code, or an offer to deliver the source upon request with the module itself.

Posted by member 39 on 2003-10-01 04:39:07 link

A good practice is to deliver source code automatically with the binary release, even if you plan on modifying the source code shortly after that. The reason is that you won't lose the source code, since it will be in a module archive. You can always contact the module archive owner to put the beautified source code in the archive later on.
I can only remember one module for whom this would have been helpful: deskfolders, but hey, prudence precaution, you know :P

Posted by member 56818 on 2003-10-01 13:53:18 link

I would say that about covers it.. Thank you guys for the replies.
I should now head back to the really important matter: coding.. :)

Farewell and godspeed.

Posted by member 31 on 2003-10-01 16:35:02 link

It is a good idea to put your license terms in each source file. Or at least a statement where the license can be read.