Another changing themes thread Thread last updated on 2003-08-31 15:37:40

Posted by member 59491 on 2003-08-30 19:51:32

I realize there have been numerous threads on the topic, and I did read them, but so far have been unsuccessful in my attempts to move away from the simplicity theme. Forgive me if I ask a question that's already been answered in another thread, but I'm only doing so because there was so much to inerpret in those threads that I'm straight confused and I hope you all understand.

When I attempt to change using LSTS to another OTS compliant theme, what happens is the simplicity task bar disappears, along with the right click functionality (which makes sense). I end up looking at the default wallpaper included with the simplicity theme, however the theme I chose to load fails to do so. The computer doesn't lockup or freeze, as I'm able to use the ctrl alt f1 trick (from the other thread :) ) to run windows explorer, get back into LSTS and revert back to simplicity just fine.

I'm at a loss as to why this occurs. There was one theme that seemed to partially load, but not enough to be of any use, so I again had to ctrl alt f1 and go back to simplicity.

If someone could talk me through this, I would be very appreciative, thank you!

Posted by member 1 on 2003-08-30 23:36:19 link

Sounds like the theme you have downloaded is either not OTS Compliant or fails with the LSTS bug. Try loading Xhenit v2 by CraHan since I know that is 100% working and see if you have the same problem.

Posted by member 59491 on 2003-08-31 02:28:04 link

Thank you. I considered the LSTS bug, but I haven't figured out where to check what version I have, though when I install the installer it says it contains the latest version of LSTS. Tough to tell. The documentation with the theme I'm using says it is OTS compliant, so I don't believe that's the problem.

It's very late right now, so I'll try that theme you suggested in the morning and post the results, thanks again.

Posted by member 59491 on 2003-08-31 12:07:09 link

I tried Xhenit as you suggested and it did work. I'm not sure how to interpret this though because the documentation with the themes that won't work says they are OTS, and this seems to eliminate the LSTS bug doesn't it? Have you got anymore ideas?

Another question I'd like to include at the moment relates to setting litestep as the shell. When I install omars installer, it unloads explorer and sets litestep (simplicity) as the shell automatically, however when I run litestep.exe after setting it back to explorer it loads the litestep theme overtop of explorer (both are functional). How do I replace explorer, rather than run it simultaneously with litestep?

Posted by member 1 on 2003-08-31 13:16:48 link

It could still be the LSTS bug because the theme may have come with a .thm file. But it does show that true OTS compliant themes work.

What you need to do is kill the explorer.exe process from the task manager if you start LS from explorer.

Posted by member 59491 on 2003-08-31 15:37:40 link

I'm not sure where to take it from here. I've tried downloading a few random themes and switching to some worked just fine, but others didn't. Everyone that I've tried switching to has had a .thm file. I don't know what to do next?