e-vars Thread last updated on 2003-08-25 08:45:47

Posted by member 56267 on 2003-08-19 21:31:59

Hejo
Did You Ppl ever realize, that almost every particular setting in STEP.RC (and other referenced .RC files) works as $E-VAR$?
Easiest way to figure it out is to call "!Alert $ARG$" bang, where ARG could be any setting defined in STEP.RC. Enter "!Alert $LSSetAsShell$" or "!Alert $CommandSearchEngineList$" - you simply get in return their
respective values from .RC files.
I suspect not all RC commands accept to be parsed that way, e.g. $SetDesktopArea$ returns odd values.
I havn't tested all possible RC commands, but "LoadModule" is another obvious exception. Its value *is* a path to one of currently loaded modules, but it seems rather random, than the last one invoked.
Btw. shouldn't "LoadModule" be *Command-style?

Look, please at a fragment of my step.rc listed below.

PopupEntryColor 7080A0
PopupEntryBgColor 0C1018
PopupFolderColor $PopupEntryColor$
PopupFolderBgColor $PopupEntryBgColor$
PopupSelEntryColor E1E6F0
PopupSelEntryBgColor 283040
PopupSelFolderColor $PopupSelEntryColor$
PopupSelFolderBgColor $PopupSelEntryBgColor$

It sync popup folder fg/bg colors with entry fg/bg colors.
And another one, it refers to label.dll (revision Label 1.99):

Label_Menu_X 0
Label_Menu_Width 67
Label_MenuHi_X $Label_Menu_X$
Label_MenuHi_Width $Label_Menu_Width$
Label_MenuHi_StartHidden true

I think it's extremelly tricky feedback. I'v searched docs and forums, but never found even a word (and even a dword) about. Is it an overlook of mine or $NotMine$ ? ;)
Whatever, cut please this post, if it's redundant.

Trasx

Posted by member 110 on 2003-08-20 01:32:21 link

Yeah I new that is also handy for linking things together like a label example

NewlabelX $OldlabelX+OldLabelWidth$

which would always place NewLabel next to OldLabel in the right spot even when you change OldLabels original width and x pos in the rc's saves you rewritting more numbers all the time you edit your theme :)

Posted by member 7 on 2003-08-20 02:52:00 link

Scratch the "almost". Each setting in step.rc is an evar. The only exception is that if you have multiple settings with the same name (*Popup or LoadModule) you'll only get the value of the first one (try $LoadModule$).

I don't think your post is redundant though as there might be others who have not noticed this yet.

Posted by member 265 on 2003-08-22 01:04:41 link

i wasn't aware of this until a few months ago - or maybe it was last year, i can't remember. good post though, should prove enlightening for others. :)

Posted by member 7 on 2003-08-22 02:01:07 link

That's also the reason why there are no listing of existing evars similar to the list of registered !bangs. It'd be a list consisting of the entire step.rc.

Posted by member 333 on 2003-08-25 08:45:47 link

maybe it should just list the entire step.rc then :p