My Biggest problem with Desktop.... Help Thread last updated on 2003-08-20 14:52:10

Posted by member 51511 on 2003-08-18 09:08:44

Hi to everyone,

I'm new on the Litestep scene and trying to do my own themes (mainly based on existing ones) and I have big problems with the desktop.
I thing I set all the right params for Desktop2.dll and the main windows are well sized when maximized but there are some programs (like notepad) when not opened in full screen, wich are opened out of the workspace (I mean the bar and part of the body are out of the workspace but the rest of the body is within the workspace). That's very annoing and the only way to correct is to use the "drag window" from the VWM.
Me, My wife, and my childrens are very satisfied with litestep except for this.

So, is it a way to correct this? any help is welcome.....

Posted by member 1 on 2003-08-18 10:15:37 link

If the window isn't "Maximized" it can be larger and off the screen, just like in Explorer. Just resize the window and close it and it should remember it.

Posted by member 51511 on 2003-08-18 16:03:24 link

No... it doesn't. notepad don't remember the position and there are some "non maximizable windows" who doesn't remember positions... (or I don't know how to do it).
In fact, these windows opens, on Explorer, from top left to botom right but in Litestep the top left are mostly outside the workspace....

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-08-18 18:03:52 link

Is it outside the workspace or outside the screen? With my own theme I have a bar at the top and bottom and the workspace defined as the area between them but sometimes non-maximised applications will be positioned under the top-bar but not off the screen. It's as though Windows doesn't respect the defined workspace area and assumes it has the full screen to use.

Try using a different desktop module to see if it makes a difference.

As a work around you will find that if you create a bang to toggle the size of the workspace between full-screen and not-full-screen (like Simplicity has) and execute the bang twice (say, using a hotkey) it will automatically move applications into the correct non-full-sreen workspace area. Hope that makes sense.

Posted by member 51511 on 2003-08-19 06:55:48 link

DrWorm, the pb is like you describe... sometimes the top of the window goes outside the screen and sometimes it's under the theme bitmaps (the themes are much like 'EAX')....
I already tryed different modules versions (Desktop2.dll & Jdesk) with no success. I use also the '!VWMGather' command to resolve it sometimes but we are not happy with that way....

Posted by member 37809 on 2003-08-19 10:26:48 link

What is your configuration that sets the desktop area?

Could it be that that is invalid?

Posted by member 51511 on 2003-08-19 16:26:57 link

Here is one of my config :
;------------------
;Mandatory Modules|
;------------------
LoadModule $LiteStepDir$desktop2.dll
LoadModule $litestepdir$popup2.dll
Loadmodule $litestepdir$systray2.dll
LoadModule $litestepdir$sysvwm.dll
LoadModule $GenMod$autorecycle.dll
LoadModule $Genmod$taskbar3_305.dll threaded
LoadModule $GenMod$shortcut.dll
LoadModule $GenMod$Textedit2.dll
LoadModule $GenMod$lsxcommand.dll
LoadModule $genmod$mzscript.dll
LoadModule $genmod$deskfolders.dll
LoadModule $GenMod$geekamp.dll
LoadModule $GenMod$AmpTitle.dll
LoadModule $Genmod$LSSlider.dll
Loadmodule $GenMod$chronos.dll
LoadModule $GenMod$timer.dll

;-----------
; Desktop |
;-----------
SetDesktopArea
SDALeft 20
SDARight 0
SDATop 38
SDABottom 0
*Desktop rbutton !Popup
; *Desktop lbutton !vwmGather

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-08-19 18:44:23 link

Do other themes you've tried also suffer the same problem? Or only the one you're developing?

Posted by member 1 on 2003-08-19 18:48:49 link

if a window is not maximized it does not use the DesktopArea to determine location.

Posted by member 51511 on 2003-08-20 07:49:59 link

It happens on ALL the themes. Even from others....

Posted by member 39 on 2003-08-20 11:53:47 link

Dumb question, but what is your OS and litestp version ?
I know i've had similar problems with Win95 and WinNT4.

Posted by member 51511 on 2003-08-20 14:52:10 link

I'm running LS 2.4.6 and XP Pro (French and US).