Bug in simplicity or LS in general Thread last updated on 2003-11-13 07:24:13

Posted by member 45783 on 2003-08-18 04:06:06

Last week I posted a bug report about scripting in 24.7, and this may be just a follow up.

Anyway, after the problems I had with my themes (scripting, icons not showing up in systray), I tried another theme to check if it was just me or LS in itself, and chose simplicity, because I know that it is in active development and, for my knowledge, relatively bug-free.

Imagine my surprise when the systray remained empty and a complete freeze was just a couple of clicks away with my computer. With 24.7 and simplicity, on average after executing 5-6 functions, the theme freezed over totally and one has to log off or otherwise terminate the shell to make anything work. The problem also manifested with my other computer, so it is apparently not machine-specific and not about the theme.
Falling back to indie litestep was the only sensible option, and it worked perfectly. Everything worked like a dream.
There should be absolutely nothing special about my computers, I have no suspicious programs installed nor do I overclock my machine or anything that would differentiate it from the ordinary. The only thing is that it is a finnish installation of W2K with the appropriate finnish service packs installed (SP 4 at present). This shouldn't however, have anything to do with litestep.

I can't be alone with this problem. If LS installer puts up a fresh 24.7 with the aforementioned simplicity and it crashes immediately upon use in a perfectly ordinary machine, there should be dozens, if not hundreds of posts like this.

Where are you people?

Has any of you experienced anything likewise?

What the f*ck am I doing wrong?

Posted by member 45783 on 2003-08-18 04:08:02 link

Forgot to mention, but in case any of the developers are intrested, I can replicate the errors any time. Also any other information on the enviroment is aveilable, just ask.

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-08-18 18:16:32 link

Someone contacted me the other day about my Glaze theme not showing the system tray also. He/She was also 24.7 and when I couldn't provide a solution he/she replied and said this...
I changed the systray size from 0 to 64 in the base
config file, and had an empty tray. So a little annoyed I recycled LS a few
times for good measure, on the third recycle all my icons popped up and the
tray is behaving perfectly normal now. Go Figure.

I'm not sure if it's related or not.

Posted by member 24766 on 2003-11-12 13:21:20 link

I have a similar problem (at least i think it is) where whenever I close the Windows Task Manager my taskbar returns to its original size, covering my system tray with the taskbar.
I'm using the Xi01 theme, which has these commands (which I believe are at fault):

TaskbarWidth $ResolutionX-660$
SysTrayOnAdd "!TaskbarShrink 18 0"
SysTrayOnDel "!TaskbarGrow 18 0"

For some reason, it's not refreshing the system tray when the task manager closes, and if I don't recycle right away, litestep crashes. Any ideas on what i can do (besides remember to recycle... sometimes i don't have a chance to)

I'm using 24.7 beta 4

Posted by member 1 on 2003-11-12 18:49:08 link

I know that Xi01 uses it...not sure about Glaze...but the systray-kad module is no longer supported by LS. My issues ranged from missing icons to reproduceable crashes. If you switch to systray2 you should be ok.

Posted by member 1402 on 2003-11-12 22:25:41 link

Have you updated your build to RC1 yet?

I had much the same going on since changing over to Omars installer 3.0/24.7 beta4. I recently updated my build to 24.7 RC1 (which documents resolving problems with systray2) and all works fine again. If LS crashes and I restore it using the ctrl+alt+F1 then I have to restart Winblows to get my systray back. But that's been going on for better than a year so I figure it's normal.

Posted by member 7 on 2003-11-13 07:24:13 link

Remove the "" quotes from the OnAdd/OnDel lines and make sure you use systray2 and not systray2kad.