Introduction and Uninitialized variable issue Thread last updated on 2003-07-17 12:44:34

Posted by member 49740 on 2003-07-16 19:55:08

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the board before I start posting problems ;)

Handle is Wixter, I dig LiteStep and look on it as saving grace from the drudgery of the XP desktop.

I work at an ISP as a support engineer for linux based webservers with shell access. I know my way around a few shells and I've read a few man pages.

I've read the Fine Manual and I tried using the search feature on the forums for an answer to this, but nothing came up.

What I did:
I attemped to change the background jpg, and typed in "stretch" where it said "center" (w/o the quotes) in LSTS, typed !Recycle in the command box for simplicity and got this error:
Uninitialized varible: rcstep at line: $dirTheme$$rcStep$
litestep died right there.

I must have missed the defination of that variable in the manual.

Any ideas?

Much Thanks,
Wix

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-07-16 22:17:29 link

Changing the background shouldn't have caused this. $dirTheme$$rcStep$ is used in the ...\litestep\step.rc file.

Take a look at this thread for details of what could be causing it. http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=4&action=view&catId=2&id=1441

Posted by member 49740 on 2003-07-17 00:56:23 link

Thanks for the reply DrWorm.

I think I found out what happend.

When I used the theme installer (LSTS)(XP), I linked to a png file by mistake. When I selected the theme LSTS saved this to my step.rc:
rcStep ""; Added by LSTS
dirTheme "$LitestepDir$themes\simplicity"; Added by LSTS
include "$dirTheme$$rcStep$" ; Added by LSTS

-side question, shouldn't there be a trailing slash (dirTheme "$LitestepDir$themes\simplicity\"; Added by LSTS) ?

(the first line should be: rcStep "step.rc"; Added by LSTS )

I discovered that by comparing a fresh install to the borked one.

That might be one for the rest of the newbs: If you break your current installation of LiteStep, kill litestep.exe in taskmanager, rename the install dir, reinstall and compare. Works great for learning. I didn't even have to reboot, just restart c:\litestep\litestep.exe.

Nothing but good wholesome sweetness.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

-Wix

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-07-17 01:40:56 link

Yes, there should be a trailing \ in dirTheme.

Posted by member 49740 on 2003-07-17 02:29:18 link

Thanks, I'll fix that up.

I just read your sig...after a beer or two, thats hella funny.

-Wix

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-07-17 11:31:58 link

wow, if only all noobs were this competent...

Posted by member 1783 on 2003-07-17 11:45:34 link

yup, i agree deuce.
but actually i wouldn't call him a real noob cause this guy seeoms to be experienced. anyway nice to see people wh know what the're doing and don't start panicing after the first error :)

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-07-17 11:56:48 link

god, I don't know how many times I've read "I saw something I didn't expect, so I formatted my computer. Litestep sux0rs! Now I demand immediate assistance!!" This guy is a very nice breath of fresh air.

Posted by member 49740 on 2003-07-17 12:44:34 link

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm just using the tools at hand.

-Wix