Some multimonitor helpers Thread last updated on 2003-07-06 10:12:27

Posted by member 602 on 2003-07-04 05:49:59

I've looked around for this and can't find it anywhere.

I've just reasently started to test my themes on multimon systems and I've found that there is a need to know the coordinates of the main monitor, that is if its NOT the left/top -most. also good to have would be the total X-and Y resolutions.

What I request is this, a module that gives four Evars:

1. MainX/Y - The Main monitors X/Y-coordinate
2. TotalResolutionX/Y - The total X/Y resolution

(Names could of course be different)

This would be a great complement to ResolutionX/Y that only gives you the res of the main monitor.

So, can this even be done, does anybody wan't to do it, does it already exist???

Posted by member 1 on 2003-07-04 09:50:14 link

If I remember right this is a feature of Desktop2. Check evars Resolution1X and Resolution2X...I think

Posted by member 99 on 2003-07-04 12:03:50 link

If a custom build of litestep would work, this one will give you allResolutionX/Y, and a ResolutionX/Y as well as Left,Top,Right,Bottom for each monitor you list with MonitorNames.

The real coordinates of the primary monitor are always (0,0)-($ResolutionX$,$ResolutionY$).

For modules that are set to on-botton (and maybe other cases), different coordinates are used, so it becomes ($0-allLeft$,$0-allTop)-($ResolutionX-allLeft$,$ResolutionY-allTop$). Or alternativeleft $primaryLeft-allLeft$, $primaryRight-allLeft$, etc.

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-07-04 17:24:28 link

I used $priRight$, $priLeft$, $priTop$, $priBottom$ in my Glaze theme based on RabidCow's advice. But I'm not sure what module supplies these variables :) Either jdesk or RabidVWM.

Posted by member 602 on 2003-07-05 11:37:48 link

Thanks, afraid a custom build won't be that good because then everybody that want to use my theme would have to use that build. I can't use desktop2 because I have some other problems with. But I'll look at this and see what I find and how it works. I'll make sure I check out Glaze too for some advice.

Posted by member 99 on 2003-07-05 21:03:39 link

The custom build would only be required for the multimonitor stuff to work. DrWorm's Glaze theme uses the custom build's multimonitor stuff and works for single-monitor systems without it.

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-07-05 23:54:51 link

"Glaze theme uses the custom build's multimonitor stuff"

Does it? If so these features seem to exist in 0.24.6 as this is the build I run on my multi-monitor system and everything works perfectly... when your monitors are positioned horizontally.

Posted by member 99 on 2003-07-06 10:12:27 link

With the second monitor on the right?

I didn't think about it too much when I posted that, but the extra stuff should only be needed if your second monitor is on the left or above the primary monitor. Otherwise the ontop/onbottom coordinates are the same and you don't need the $allLeft/right$ correction. I think... (hey, it's early :)