creating themes Thread last updated on 2003-07-07 20:19:31

Posted by member 45758 on 2003-06-28 12:05:24

Okies, I new and I want to know how to create themes.. I have no clue where to start.. heh.. If someone could help me? I'm in desperate need of a new theme - yuck!

Posted by member 1783 on 2003-06-28 12:09:15 link

read mojomonkee's tutorial (from the tutorials thread in the general section).
and read many more things ;)
....and more.

Posted by member 45758 on 2003-06-28 12:45:27 link

Ok well, Before reading this and stuff, I got LiteStep Theme Maker... And I don't understand it.. The "Help - Tutorial" didn't help me much... Is there a tutorial for this program??? My brother (computer genious lol) doesn't understand it either.. I mean, I'm not new to computers.. but this program isn't like any other.. I DON'T GET IT -erf-

Posted by member 35 on 2003-06-28 13:58:43 link

try alphaEdit3

Posted by member 32550 on 2003-06-28 14:59:02 link

*loool* it's easy.... in the mainbar can you find Module where are the most improtant module included via dialoges.... open the module dialog and put in your own settings (images, colors and so on) than accept. now you will be asked where your module is found. thats it.

The LSTM is made for easier and faster main Module creations, but you have to read the module readme's for knowing everything (especially small tricks like $resolutionx-200$ or something)
But LSTM will give you the feature to create a very simple OTS running theme, because all (ok nearly all) settings of the module can be set.
It is not a "what you see is what you get" editor you still have to work on the rc files.

Posted by member 45758 on 2003-06-28 15:55:51 link

uhh.. thanks..

Posted by member 37809 on 2003-06-28 16:29:44 link

try hacking away at existing, simply organized themes, none of the fancier 'complete-looking' themes. it's actually kind of hard to gauge complexity by screenshot alone, so i don't know any target themes... themes these days are largely bar themes or floating boxed themes (modules hooked and loaded inside of lsbox, a module that allows for that); i recommend trying a bar theme first.

once you get the hang of configuring modules and understand how to tie them together, you'll figure how to 'theme' eventually.

also read as much documentation as you can. google 'lsdocs litestep' and try to understand the format of step.rc and how evars and bangs work.

it's normal to quit the process of learning and then resume some other month out of frustration/boredom/desperation/etc.

Posted by member 45758 on 2003-06-28 16:48:18 link

lol... I'll just quit for now, try again some other day when I'm bored... I honestly DON'T understand ANY of it.. I am totally clueless, And I only udderstand half of what you guys are saying.. I go to open my LiteStep Theme Maker, but it seems to NOT be in my program files... grr...

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-06-28 17:03:05 link

To create my first (and currently only) theme I followed this tutorial - Tutorial: Joeblade: Litestep: Theming

But this tutorial is old and the result will not be an OTS theme. But the basics remain the same. If you work through this tutorial make sure you reference how the Simplicity theme does it. When you're done check it conforms to the Open Theme Standard before distributing.

Posted by member 34099 on 2003-07-02 05:02:42 link

Hi, is there a program to help measure the screen pixels so i can see where i should place a bitmap for X and Y location?

Posted by member 32550 on 2003-07-02 07:24:09 link

Not realy, but is simple - values were set on the x coordienate form the right side, and y coordinate from the bottom.

Example:

your bar is 20 pix high and you want to place it on bottom of the screen.
x=0
y=-20
weight=$resolutionx$
height=20

another hint is, if you place anything (systray, buttons,....) in or on your bar (btw: any background image), take the background image and cut out the things, fill the empty with magic pink, so later you can see how many px you are away from the right position (and there is no "on top" problem any more)

Posted by member 1316 on 2003-07-02 08:45:45 link

ls, I think you meant "width=$resolutionx$" ;)

Posted by member 2112 on 2003-07-02 18:27:19 link

"Hi, is there a program to help measure the screen pixels so i can see where i should place a bitmap for X and Y location?"

I find it easiest to create what I want my theme to look like in Photoshop first, then chop it up. It also allows me to measure where I want elements to appear on the screen.

Posted by member 1 on 2003-07-02 18:55:59 link

XProp.dll

Posted by member 27043 on 2003-07-03 00:03:15 link

I used Litestep years and years ago when there
was only one distro and it came w/ some basic rc files
and stuff which made it easy to get started.... Ive looked
at a few distros now and test installed a few but I hate the way they are set up and was wondering if anyone knows
of any really basic themes so you can add your own stuff?
bah hardly any of the themes I see even use wharf and that's the main reason I want litestep (other than the fact most of the other shells seemed a little incomplete or hard to use and setup or hard to use... under linux I use fluxbox w/ this one drawer module which that looks like wharf.... decided to come back to windows since I dont really have the time right now 2 spend hours trying to get Wine working correctly...
anyway any links to some basic themes would be helpfull...
thanx

Posted by member 27043 on 2003-07-07 20:19:31 link

Ah hah... after messing around a bit I discovered that I could just install indiestep and start from scratch pretty easilly and go by the documentation to achieve what I was tryin to do... screw that OTS stuff... I gotta test out some modules and mess around w/ this a little more 2 suit my tastes...